Canadian Pacific Railway Station

Heritage Railway Station of Canada

Tring-Jonction, Quebec
Exterior photo (© (C1. Ethnotech inc., 1991.))
Exterior photo
(© (C1. Ethnotech inc., 1991.))
Address : 191 Main Street, Tring-Jonction, Quebec

Recognition Statute: Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act (R.S.C., 1985, c. 52 (4th Supp.))
Designation Date: 1991-06-10
Dates:
  • 1914 to 1914 (Construction)

Research Report Number: RS-034

Description of Historic Place

The Tring-Jonction Canadian Pacific Station is a one-and-a-half-storey, concrete-block railway station, built in 1914. It is located in Tring-Jonction. The formal recognition is confined to the railway station building itself.

Heritage Value

The Tring-Jonction Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) Station represents the role of Quebec Central Railway (QCR) in the late-19th-century development of the Beauce region. The railway had a profound effect on the economic growth and physical expansion of the community of Tring-Jonction. The construction of the station, immediately before the line was leased to CPR, was connected to CPR’s desire to modernize its rail facilities.

The Tring-Jonction station is one of two moulded-concrete-block stations constructed in Quebec. Both stations follow the same design. The Tring-Jonction station is notable for the use of asbestos, a local material for which the region is known, in the manufacturing of its concrete blocks.

Sources: Heritage Character Statement, Gare du Canadien Pacifique, Tring-Jonction, Quebec, 16 September 1991.

Character-Defining Elements

Character-defining elements of the Gare du Canadien Pacifique at Tring-Jonction include: its form and massing, consisting of a one-storey, rectangular, hip-roofed block, intersected by a one-and-a-half-storey, gable-roofed block which projects on both track and street sides; and a large, hip-roofed canopy at one end, supported on free-standing columns features typical of early-20th-century railway stations, including hipped roofs, a rectangular plan, wide, overhanging eaves forming a platform canopy, wood brackets supporting the canopy, and a projecting operator’s bay, incorporated here in the one-and-a-half-storey projecting section its roof line, consisting of a hip roof with a transverse gable, and a slightly lower hip-roofed canopy connected to one end its fireproof construction, consisting of a concrete foundation rising to window-sill height, and moulded concrete blocks above its use of concrete made of local materials, namely asbestos its wood detailing, including boarded soffits, and wood canopy brackets the arrangement and configuration of window and door openings, including large tripartite windows, doors with transoms and flanking windows, baggage doors and single, rectangular windows multi-light transoms and upper sash surviving original wood window and door units its interior plan, comprising a baggage room, a general waiting room, a ticket office and the women’s waiting room on the ground floor and an employee’s lounge on the second floor surviving original interior finishes and fixtures, including wood floors, wood panelling and trim, and pressed-metal ceiling.