Green Point Lighthouse
Port de Grave, Newfoundland and Labrador
(© Department of Fisheries and Ocean Canada)
Lighthouse Road, Conception Bay, Port de Grave, Newfoundland and Labrador
Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act (S.C. 2008, c 16)
1883 to 1883
Event, Person, Organization:
Robert Andrews, first lighthouse keeper
Description of Historic Place
The Green Point Lighthouse is a 6.3 metre (20.7 feet) cylindrical, cast-iron tower. It was constructed in 1883, and is located on
the rugged point of rural Port de Grave Peninsula. It serves as a secondary coastal light, guiding vessels entering the southern
entrance to Bay Roberts Harbour, on the Avalon Peninsula in Eastern Newfoundland.
The Green Point Lighthouse is a heritage lighthouse because of its historical, architectural, and community values.
Historical values The Green Point Lighthouse is a good example of the expansion of navigational aids in the colony of Newfoundland in the 19th century. A system of lighthouses was initiated in 1811, with major shipping routes marked initially, followed by minor lights to make local shipping and fishing safer for outport communities. The tower at Green Point was erected in 1883 at the specific request of the local community of Bay Roberts, which had suffered a devastating loss of 45 men when the Huntsman vessel sank in a storm. The lighthouse has served an important role in the socio-economic development of the communities along the Port de Grave Peninsula. By the 19th century, the area had become a leading fishing, trading and commercial settlement. The lighthouse served both the inshore and Labrador fisheries, contributing to the growth of the local economy and surrounding communities. Today Port de Grave continues to be one of the most active fishing ports in the province, and the lighthouse guides numerous tankers, ferries, fishing and cargo vessels, and recreational boaters.
The following character-defining elements of the Green Point Lighthouse should be respected:- its location on the rugged, exposed tip of the narrow Port de Grave Peninsula; - its intact, as-built structural form, height, profile and balanced proportions; - its excellently preserved cast-iron cylindrical shaft; - its small lantern with triangular glazing and prominent cap; - its “crow’s nest”-inspired gallery surrounded by metal railing; - its elevated entry door; - its simple reinforced concrete foundation; - its traditional red and white exterior colour scheme, notably the alternating red and white bands on the tower; and, - its visual prominence in relation to the water and landscape.