The Rouge app
Rouge National Urban Park
An App for Rouge National Urban Park!
Dive deeper into Canada’s first and only national urban park with the interactive app – The Rouge! Created by students at the University of Toronto Scarborough’s innovation hub, in partnership with Parks Canada, the app offers users the chance to explore the park’s rich history, forests and trails like never before.
As part of the 2018 Canada-China Year of Tourism, the app is now available in Simplified Chinese, in addition to English and French.
- View trails and points of interest on the interactive park map
- Activate the app’s Rouge Tracking feature to turn your phone into a GPS-based virtual tour guide. Receive real-time notifications as you explore the park.
- Browse through the guide to plan your visit to the park and learn more about specific topics, including park activities, trails, nature, agriculture, history and more
- Save your favourite content pages and points of interest for future reference
- Earn badges for hiking and discovering points of interest using Rouge Tracking
- Report wildlife sightings, trail conditions, and more directly to Parks Canada
- Receive notifications for park news and special events
- Learn about park wildlife and test your memory with a fun matching game
- Available in English, French, and Simplified Chinese
The map feature in the app will not only display a map of the park and all of its trails, but it will also track your location on the map in real time to help you navigate the trails. The map feature also displays all the parking lots in the park and even points of interest so you can plan ahead what you would like to check out during your hike.
Have fun using the Rouge App even when you’re not in the park with the Rouge Memory Game! Flip over tiles and match pairs of park related icons until all of the tiles have disappeared. Once you've matched all the pairs, reveal a photo taken in the Rouge with a fun fact to go with it! Can you beat our staff’s best time of 15.3 seconds?
Explore Rouge National Urban Park in a whole new way. Turn on Rouge Tracking in your Rouge App while in the park and the app will track your location to help you navigate the trails. Not only that, it will also track how far you’ve hiked in the park and send you notifications when you pass by a point of interest. You can even earn achievements by exploring the park using Rouge Tracking! So get out there and explore the park’s rich history, forests and trails like never before!
The Rouge app has lots of features to help keep you safe and in the know while out on the trails. Using the safety feature, you can learn more about possible hazards such plants, insects, wildlife and weather and how you can be best prepared to encounter them in the park. The safety section also features a Hiking Survival Guide to get you ready for a safe trek in the park.
Get involved using the Rouge App! Is there a fallen tree blocking a trail? Did you spot a rare species and want to share? With the “Tell Us” feature in the Rouge App you can share your sightings, concerns and experiences with Parks Canada. With this feature, you can select the category of your message, select the location (and even include your current GPS location), type a message and attach a picture to notify staff at Rouge National Urban Park.
Using the trails feature, you can discover new routes and areas in the park to explore. The trails section also features directions to each trail to help you navigate the park.
Please note: The app requires an initial internet connection to download content. Please open the app before your first visit to the park. After the initial download, no cell signal, data, or wifi connection is required.
- Date modified :