Business licences for tour operators and guides
As a tour operator or guide in a Parks Canada place, you may require a valid business license for each national park or national historic site in which you operate.
Why get a business licence
- Help ensure your clients have a positive experience in Parks Canada places.
- Help Parks Canada monitor visitation flow and ensure these unique protected places stay as such so your clients, and other visitors, can continue to enjoy them.
- Help Parks Canada provide tour operators with information to support successful visits for your clients.
Types of business licences for tour operators and guides
Basic business licenses
Issued to tour operators operating in the front-country and/or only on paved pathways, such as motorcoach groups.
Guided business licenses
Generally issued for the following activities:
- hiking tours
- backpacking tours
- backcountry interpretive walks
- guided mountaineering
- guided ski touring
- guided cross-country ski touring
- guided horseback tours
- rafting tours
- angling guides
- scuba diving
- stand-up paddleboarding
- all wilderness-related tours and guided programs
Apply for a business licence
Business licenses are valid for one year, from April 1 to March 31.
The cost of a business license varies by park or site and the type of business license.
Apply or get more information
Some places and business license types have fixed application deadlines.
Please contact the park or site you are planning to visit.
Contact and business licence information for each park or site can normally be found in the Park management or Site management section.