Bear warning: Lakeshore and Bertha Falls trails
Issued: July 29, 2020
Ends: October 18, 2020
Special caution is recommended while travelling in this area due to the following:
Lakeshore trail from the townsite to Boundary Bay
Bertha Falls Trail
WHY: Black bear is frequenting the area and has obtained unsecured human food. The bear has approached people and attempted to obtain food. For this reason we advise:
• Do not approach the bears.
• Carry bear spray and know how to use it
• Hike out all garbage.
• Fire pits should not be used to dispose of garbage or liquids.
• Keep your dog on a leash, or preferably leave it at home.
• The recommended maximum distance between two individuals is 3 meters. This distance should be less when sightlines or hearing is reduced by the physical surroundings.
• If the bear approaches, make noise, pick up all backpacks, ready your deterrent and leave the area.
Report all bear (carnivore) sightings to 1-888-927-3367 or Notify Parks Canada Staff.
Effective date: 2020-07-29
End date: Until further notice