How to apply
Each year we seek out our next Youth Ambassadors to embark on a once-in-a-lifetime summer journey. Have fun, create incredible memories and gain valuable skills through thrilling adventures in some of Canada's most spectacular places. Your mission: find creative new ways to get Canadian youth interested in and experiencing Canada's rich and diverse natural and cultural heritage.
Positions to be filled: 2
The application process is open from November 13 until November 24 11:59 pm
If you are applying for these positions please provide:
- A cover letter showing how you meet the position requirements
- A reference letter that demonstrates your ability to engage other youth
Please apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in applying for these positions?
- Applicants must be registered in a recognized university or college program
- Applicants must have completed one year of full-time post-secondary education by May 2018
- Applicants must be returning to full-time, in Canada, post-secondary education in September 2018
- Applicants must be a Canadian Citizen or have the legal documentation to work in Canada
- Applicants must be passionate about Canada’s natural and cultural heritage and want to share this passion with other young Canadians
Parks Canada Youth Ambassadors Program
External Relations and Visitor Experience
External Relations Branch
Applicants will be screened against the following criteria and must clearly indicate that they meet the established criteria.
- Must be a full-time student in an accredited institution, and be returning to full-time studies for the next academic term.
- English or French Essential
- Asset: bilingualism
- Experience in volunteerism and community engagement
- Experience in social media content creation – written and visual
- Experience in creating and delivering presentations
- Experience planning and organizing public events
- Experience in youth engagement
Applicants will be rated against the following criteria and may be rated against education and experience.
- Knowledge of Parks Canada’s places, mandate, corporate priorities and programs
- Knowledge of new technologies, media and social networks
- Ability to use creative and innovative ways to engage youth both locally and beyond
- Ability to promote the mandate and experiences offered by Parks Canada
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Ability to seek opportunities to establish new productive relationships
- Ability to create and expand social networks
- Ability to manage time
- Interpersonal skills
Condition of employment
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Be available for work full time from May-August 2018, then part-time from September -March 2018-2019 in Canada.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- Requirement to live in the National Capital Region from May until August.
- Willingness to work and/or travel in varied terrain, weather conditions, isolated locations and by various means of transportation.
- Willingness to wear a Parks Canada uniform when required.
- Requirement to work irregular hours, overtime, evenings, weekends and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays, when required.
- Willingness to work from various locations.
- Willingness to travel extensively, including overnight and/or weekends.
Other information - Challenge (work environment, task, colleagues)
Parks Canada manages one of the finest and most extensive systems of protected areas in the world. There are 171 national historic sites, 46 national parks, 1 national urban park and 4 national marine conservation areas located throughout Canada.
An international leader in the areas of natural and historic heritage conservation, species at risk protection and restoration, Parks Canada has consistently worked for over a century to preserve and maintain this national living heritage - a cultural legacy for all Canadians.
All these unique and exceptional places represent the very essence of Canada. They tell its story and offer an unforgettable and unique experience for visitors who are looking to discover the real Canada.
As a Parks Canada Youth Ambassador you will get the opportunity to visit and experience some of these unique and special places. Your challenge will be to bring these Parks Canada experiences to young Canadians where they live, study, work and play and encourage young Canadians to learn more about their natural and cultural treasures and inspire them to share their experiences with others.
If you enjoy stimulating challenges, like to experience new places, can plan and execute a special event, and are a talented communicator who is creative and knows how to use social media tools, this challenge will be of interest to you.