Welcome to a whole new way of camping! A cross between a tent and a rustic cabin, Parks Canada oTENTik is a relaxing, easier way to experience camping. The oTENTik tent offers a unique blend of homey comfort and a taste of outdoor adventure. It’s a unique concept for visitors to enjoy camping with the comfort of a bed and a campsite already set up and ready to go. Each unit includes three beds and can accommodate up to six people. Kluane has five oTENTik tents located in Kathleen Lake campground.
Inside each oTENTik:
- Sleeping area for up to 6 people - three sleeping platforms with 2 queen sized mattresses and 1 double mattress
- A table and seating for 4 people
- Wood-burning stove and wood
- Solar-powered lighting and cell phone charging station (usb) and a battery-powered lantern
- Fire extinguisher, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Broom and dustpan
- Please note: there is no plumbing or running water in the tents
At each oTENTik site:
- Picnic table
- Two outdoor chairs
- Fire pit and firewood
- Outdoor 2-burner propane cook stove (propane not included)
- Mosquito/rain shelter for the picnic table
- Bear-resistant food storage locker
(85.5 cm/33.75” H x 63 cm/25” W x 111.75 cm/44" L, pack appropriately)
- Wagon for moving your supplies
One oTENTik has a ramp instead of stairs for easier access.
- Water taps
- Grey water disposal
- Garbage and recycling disposal
- Parking for a maximum of 2 vehicles
Kathleen Lake facilities map (PDF - 1 MB)
What to bring
There is a very short walk from the parking area to the oTENTik sites. Pack appropriately.
- Sleeping bags, blankets and pillows (Extra blankets and sleeping bags with a temperature rating of -10° C are recommended in September)
- Food, drinks, and a water container
- Cooking equipment, dishes, eating utensils and a wash pan for dishes
- Inside slippers or shoes for comfort and keeping the oTENTik clean
- Flashlight (August and September)
- Matches or a lighter
A few rules
In addition to the national park’s camping regulations, Parks Canada oTENTik users must follow a few additional rules:
- For your safety, no food preparation, food or drink storage, eating, drinking, or cooking is allowed inside the oTENTik. Please store all food and related items in the bear resistant storage lockers or your vehicle during your stay.
- When not in use, all food, garbage, dishes and recyclables MUST be stored in the bear resistant storage lockers or your vehicle.
- Smoking is not permitted in the oTENTik
- Pets are permitted in oTENTik #1 and oTENTik #5 only. All other oTENTik are pet free.
- Check-in time: 3 pm; Checkout time 11 am .
- oTENTik: $120.00 per night
- Reservation fee: $11.00 (online), $13.50 (reserve by phone)
Reservations begin January 3, 2019: call 1-877-RESERVE or www.reservation.pc.gc.ca/kluane
Bookings can be made at the Visitor Centre as a walk-in if an oTENTik is available. Parks Canada cannot guarantee walk-in availability. Reservations are highly recommended.
Guests must check in at the Kluane National Park and Reserve Visitor Centre in Haines Junction.
After Hours Check-in:
- If you will be arriving after operating hours you must call the Visitor Centre at 1-867-634-7207 to make alternative arrangements
- If you will not be passing through Haines Junction you must call the Visitor Centre at 1-867-634-7207 to make alternative arrangements.
What oTENTik campers are saying...
Wow, what a great camping experience and a wonderful way to introduce our 2 and 4 year old to sleeping outdoors. We will definitely be back and would love to see otentiks built in more national parks. Thanks!” –Suzanne, Darcy, Emily and Will, Saskatoon SK
“Super fun. Makes for easy camping! Thanks Parks Canada.”
“We love this concept of camping! “– John, JoAnne, Sarah and Michael