Bear warning: Thechàl Dhâl’ (Sheep Mountain) area
Issued: August 12, 2020
What: Special caution and a group size of 4 is recommended when travelling in this area due to the following bear related situation:
Where: : The A’ay Chu (Slim’s River) valley, Bullion Plateau, Sheep Creek and Soldier's Summit Trails and Thechàl Dhâl’ (Sheep Mountain) area.
Why: A bear exhibiting curious or testing behaviour by repeatedly approaching hikers at close range.
If a bear approaches with curious or testing behavior:
- Talk in a firm voice.
- Move out of the bear’s path.
- If the bear follows and stays intent on you, stop and stand your ground.
- Make yourself appear large, move uphill and stand on a log or rock.
- Shout and act aggressively, and threaten the bear with anything you can find.
- If the bear comes within range of your bear spray, spray it!
- Inform Parks staff immediately by calling 24- hour emergency dispatch at 1-877-852-3100
For more information, call 867-634-7250