Grasslands National Park is located in southwestern Saskatchewan near the Saskatchewan-Montana border. The Park has two separate blocks. The West Block centres on the Frenchman River Valley and the East Block features the Killdeer Badlands of the Rock Creek area and the Wood Mountain Uplands. The park's West Block can be accessed near the village of Val Marie on Hwy #4 and Hwy #18. Val Marie is a one and a half hour drive south of Swift Current. The Park's East Block can be accessed near the town of Wood Mountain on Hwy #18.
- The Visitor Centre has up-to-date weather forecasts, road conditions and park maps.
- Cell phone coverage is not reliable in the park.
- Get oriented at the Visitor Centre and use navigation tools (maps, compass, GPS)
- Technology can be wonderful, but sometimes doing things the old fashioned way pays off. If you are travelling to Grasslands National Park, please be aware that GPS directions are not always correct. Be sure to research your route ahead of time, including road directions to the Block of the park that you are travelling to.
Distance between the two Grasslands National Park visitor centres: 166 km
a) Ecotour Road:
From the Visitor Reception Centre, travel east on Hwy #18 for approximately 14.5 km (9 miles), turn south and follow this road for about 4 km (2.5 miles). Watch for the park signs and the beaver symbol. Once inside the West Block, watch for pull-offs and interpretive panels for the Ecotour.
b) 70 Mile Butte Access:
From the Visitor Reception Centre, travel south on Hwy#4 for approximately 5km (3miles), turn east and follow this road for about 5km (3miles).
c) Two Trees Access:
From the Visitor Reception Centre, travel south on Hwy #4 for approximately 8km (5miles). Watch for the park signs and the beaver symbol.Continue straight onto the gravel road for approximately 2km (1mile). Turn East and continue to the Two Trees.
Travel south of Wood Mountain Regional Park on Highway #18 for 22.4 km, watch for Grasslands National Park signs, turn west onto gravel road for 6.4 km, turn south for 6.4 km, then turn west for 2.4 km. Watch for Rock Creek Campground signs at each turn. McGowan Visitor Reception Centre is located in Rock Creek Campground.
Regina, Saskatoon and Calgary all have international airports that are serviced by major national and international carriers. Learn more about airline service to:
By rental car
There are several rental car agencies located Swift Current, Regina or Saskatoon.
- Canada Border Services Agency: for border crossing information
- Prairie Wind and Silver Sage: for topographic maps.