Parks Canada is currently receiving an unprecedented $64 million in funding to complete construction work on park infrastructures, including the Parkway and various visitor facilities. The investment program, which began in 2015, is set to conclude in 2020. The works will allow us to continue to protect this precious area and ensure its sustainability for future generations.
The 2019 summer season will run from May 16 to October 14. Although both entrances will be open, it will not be possible to cross the park from one entrance to the other, so please plan your visit accordingly.
Closed during the 2019 season:
- The Parkway between the Esker and the Wapizagonke Picnic Area
- Lac Gabet Trail
- Île-aux-Pins Lookout and Vide-Bouteille Lookout
- Lac du Caribou, Modène Lake, Boyer Lake, Marechal Lake, Cobb Bay and Baie des Onze Îles
- Du Caribou-Wapizagonke, Maréchal-Tessier, and de la Halte-Wapizagonke portage trails
Accessible via the Saint-Jean-des-Piles entrance:
- All trails, lakes, picnic areas, and rest areas located between the Saint-Jean-des-Piles entrance and the Wapizagonke Picnic Area
- The Wapizagonke and Rivière à la Pêche campgrounds will only be accessible via the Saint-Jean-des-Piles entrance.
Accessible via the Saint-Mathieu-du-Parc entrance:
- The Shewenegan Picnic Area, including the Les Cascades and Les Falaises trails
- Esker Picnic Area
- Mistagance Campground
- La Clairière Group Campground
- Ruisseau Brodeur Trail and La Tourbière Trail
- Lac du Caribou, Baie des Onze Îles Lake, and Cobb Bay will be closed.
- To access Waber Lake, visitors must pass through Wapizagonke Lake (4 km) and the Waber-Wapizagonke Portage (3 km).
- The Saint-Mathieu-du-Parc entrance is still the best way to access sites 1 to 6 on Wapizagonke Lake to avoid a long journey. The closest boat rental kiosk is at the Shewenegan Picnic Area.
- To access sites 7 to 15 on Wapizagonke Lake, we recommend that you use the Saint-Jean-des-Piles entrance if you hope to reach your site in under two hours. The closest boat rental kiosk is at the Wapizagonke Picnic Area.
- For safety reasons, Lac du Caribou, Baie des Onze Îles Lake, Cobb Bay, Modène Lake, and Maréchal Lake will be closed to fishing. Given these closures, there will be no random draws for fishing spots at the Saint-Mathieu Visitor Centre in 2019. Those who wish to fish must go to the Saint-Jean-des-Piles entrance.
- We understand the unfortunate impacts of these closures. However, given our constant concern for visitor safety and the presence of contractors in this sector, we believe this decision is in everyone’s best interest. As the La Mauricie National Park’s 50th anniversary celebrations draw near, we are certain that you are as invested as we are in the protection of our rich natural heritage, and we thank you for your patience.
- Reconstruction of the bridge of the Shewenegan Picnic Aera
- Addition of a new gatehouse at the Saint-Mathieu Entrance
- Redevelopment of the Shewenegan Picnic Area
- Reconstruction of the service building on Loop A of the Mistagance Campground
- Reconstruction of two segments of the Parkway (10 km)