Safety in winter
Come try out cross-country skiing and winter hiking in the enchanting surroundings of La Mauricie National Park. Throughout the year, but especially in winter, we invite you to plan your visit to ensure your own safety and to have an unforgettable experience.
Since snowshoeing trail network is located in the backcountry, it is important to note that response times in emergency situations can differ based on the place of the incident and weather conditions. The right equipment and good preparation will allow you to ensure your safety until help arrives.
Consult the trail maps
- Get the trail maps from Rivière à la Pêche Service Center or consult our website. The descriptions of trails, as well as topographical maps, will be very useful during your visit.
Plan your return based on when the sun sets
- During winter, sunset takes place much earlier than in the summer. In order to ensure that you can complete your trip during daylight hours, calculate the time required for your activity and be sure to finish it before the sun sets. A headlamp can be useful.
Inform someone of your itinerary
- Before leaving, advise a friend or a family member of your itinerary and an expected time of return.
Choose an activity at your level
- Do not hesitate to ask for help from members of our team so that they can guide you when choosing your excursion. An activity at your level and for which you have the knowledge and physical abilities to stay safe will ensure that you have an enjoyable experience.
Watch for changes in weather
- Weather conditions in the park change quickly; even during sunny moments, strong winds, rains and storms can happen. The temperature can fall several degrees after sunset.
Get the right equipment
- Make sure you’re equipped to survive several hours in the cold.
- A warm change of clothing
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Fire-starting kit
- First aid kit
- Survival shelter or emergency blanket
- Orientation and communication kit (park map, compass, GPS, cellular phone, etc.)
- Enough food and water
- Snowshoes and/or crampons
To know all about the right ways to prepare for activities in the snow, as well as for the right material to have, consult the Adventuresmart site.