Rouge National Urban Park is looking for new Parka volunteers who wish to connect the visitors to the Rouge’s amazing natural, cultural and agricultural heritage!
As a Parka Mascot, you help animate Parka, and engage young children, families and the general public through non-verbal communication. You would also be helping create a fun, welcoming and lively environment where people feel content and accepted.
Volunteers accepted into the program will receive a range of training related to Parks Canada, Rouge National Urban Park, Quality Visitor Experience, and Parka Orientation.
Prospective volunteers must attend all training workshops in May/June and commit to the program for one year.
Parka Volunteers engage with the public in family friendly events, outreach programs, and other occasions. They help contribute to fun, safe and enjoyable programs for all visitors to Rouge National Urban Park. There is a diversity of Canadians and visitors who enjoy Parks Canada programming. As such, volunteer should be open and willing to engage with people of different walks of life, abilities, and ages.
- Attend various events and activities inside and outside Rouge National Urban Park to support Parks Canada and Rouge National Urban Park, mainly outdoors
- Interacting directly with the public – being in photos with them, engaging with children, acting as an ice breaker/welcoming ambassador
- Performing Parka’s signature song and dance
- Wearing the Parka mascot costume and communicating non-verbally through action and physical expressions exclusively, guided by a Parks Canada Staff handler
- Embodying Parka’s persona/character and maintaining the character at all times while in costume
- Care and maintenance of the Parka costume
- Be reliable and accountable
- Have a willingness to learn about Parks Canada and Rouge National Urban Park
- Attend volunteer meetings and mandatory trainings as needed
- Previous outreach, education, performance, communication background or equivalent experience preferred but not required
- Volunteer must be enthusiastic, welcoming and excited to share what Parks Canada and Rouge National Urban Park have to offer
- Respect and tolerance: for cultural diversity and a wide array of citizens and communities that may be encountered in the park and throughout the GTA
- For day to day communication with RNUP and Parks Canada staff and other volunteers, English is essential; other languages spoken are an asset
- Reliability Status Screening by Parks Canada (mandatory)
Benefits of Volunteering with Parks Canada
- Develop and expand non-verbal communication and physical literacy skills
- Gain confidence in performing arts
- Social opportunity with the general public
- Learning and recognition opportunities
- Joining the Parks Canada National Volunteer Program
- Countless learning opportunities
- Making new friends and acquaintances
If you are interested please respond to email@example.com with your resume, one reference and a cover letter that answers the following questions:
- Why are you interested in becoming a Parka Volunteer in Rouge National Urban Park with Parks Canada?
- What experiences, if any, do you have in performance art?
- Do you have any Mascot experience? If so, please describe
- What does it mean to you/what do think it means, to be Parka?
- Do you have mascot hero?
We thank all who apply!