Canoe/stand-up paddle board (SUP) rentals
Rent a canoe or SUP from the park kiosk, available for half day (5 hours or less) at the cost $20.50. The rental fee includes 1 paddle for the SUP and 2 paddles for canoes, a safety kit and life jackets for all persons in the rental party. To rent a canoes/SUPs you must be 18+ years of age. All persons under age 18 must be accompanied with an adult. Visitors are welcome to reserve a canoe ahead of time at the park kiosk. For more information, please review or download our Canoe/SUP rental program booklet.
Canoe/SUP rental program
How to rent a canoe or stand-up paddle board
- Proceed to the park Kiosk and meet friendly park staff or reserve ahead by calling the park (807-229-0801 ext. 248). Rentals are available starting at 9:00 AM each day.
- Fill out the rental forms and pay the fees.
- Listen to park staff for Hattie Cove information and paddling safety tips. A map of Hattie cove will be provided to you.
- Take life jackets, safety kit, paddles and rental key.
- Head down to the Hattie Cove canoe launch area by the Visitor Centre. You will be floating on the waters soon!
- Unlock your canoe/SUP with the provided key and safely remove it from the rack.
- Remember safety first! Put on your life jackets, bring a water bottle and wear sunblock. You are ready for your Hattie Cove paddling adventure!
- When you’re done for the day, bring the canoe/SUP back to the launch, place it on the rack and lock it up.
- Head back to the park Kiosk to return the rental key, paddles, safety kit and life jackets. Remember all equipment should be returned to the Kiosk before they close for the day.
- Be sure to take a photo with all your gear so that you can remember your awesome day on the water!
- Rental canoes/SUPs are rented in 5 hour increments at the cost of $20.50.
- Rental fee includes 2 paddles, a safety kit and life jackets for all persons in the rental party.
- Payment for rentals is due at the time of reservation.
- Pukaskwa National Park reserves the right to refuse rental service to any person(s) where safety is at risk.
- Participants renting canoes/SUPs are responsible for all provided equipment. Credit card information will be taken should any damages or losses occur to the equipment.
- Canoes/SUPs can only be rented by person(s) 18+ years of age. All persons under age 18 must be accompanied with an adult.
- Refunds are available within 30 minutes of purchase.
- If rental canoes/SUPs are returned late, additional charges will be issued depending on amount of exceeded time.
- Canoe/SUP reservations will be released if renter does not arrive within 1 hour of specified time.
Keep Pukaskwa beautiful and leave no trace!
- Respect wildlife; never feed them and always observe them from a distance.
- Leave natural and cultural items undisturbed for others to enjoy.
- Pack out everything you pack in.
- Make a trip plan, let someone know where you are going, how long you will be and who to contact in the event you fail to return.
- Plan your outing according to the weather conditions and daily forecasts. Ensure that you have plenty of water, sun protection and rain gear. Weather on Lake Superior can often change without warning. Hattie Cove is a sheltered area from the main coast but it’s important to remember that it is still a part of the lake and can be subject to rough waters.
- Rental canoes/SUPs may not be used before sunrise or after sunset. Full daylight is required for safety and to view the great landscape!
- Know your limits, you are responsible for your own safety. Due to Pukaskwa National Park’s remote location, emergency response can be delayed.
- Ensure your group is knowledgeable and have the physical fitness required for the activity.
- Life jackets should be worn at all times while operating canoes/SUPs. It is the responsibility of the participants to ensure that their life jackets fit properly.
- The canoe capacity is 900 lb. Do not exceed this weight limit. Only one person is permitted on each SUP.
- Each canoe is equipped with a bailer, flashlight, whistle, and 15m buoyant rope. Each SUP is equipped with a whistle, flashlight and safety tether.
For your safety
- Rental canoes/SUPs are not equipped to handle the challenges of Lake Superior; they may not leave the shelter of Hattie Cove. Stay clear of the Lake Superior access point which is across from the canoe launch area.
- Remember, the water in Hattie Cove, although beautiful and clear, is very cold. Should you capsize, make your way to shore as fast as possible or stay on top of the vessel and signal for help. Hypothermia can occur quickly in Lake Superior’s year-round average temperature of 4°C.
- In the event of an emergency call the duty officer at 1-807- 229-0801 ext. 237 or Jasper Dispatch at 1-877-852-3100.
Global positioning system (GPS)
Geocaching is an addictive treasure hunt that the whole family can enjoy and Pukaskwa National Park is home to many geocaches that are a part of the Parks Canada Heritage Hide'n'Seek GeoTour.
Interested in geocaching but don't have a GPS? You can rent one from the Hattie Cove visitor centre or park kiosk for only $5.00!