Self-serve fall and winter camping
November 1st - April 31st
The Bruce Peninsula is spectacular in all seasons. Fall and winter camping is a great way to experience the natural beauty of the area. There are a few things you should know before you arrive.
Expect limited service in the winter, both in the park and in the surrounding area. Park buildings are closed for the winter. There is a gas station, grocery store, post office, liquor store, and a handful of other businesses that stay open throughout the year in the town of Tobermory. Hours are limited. Check www.tobermory.com for more information.
- Winter conditions can be dangerous - be prepared and cautious.
- Emergency response is limited during winter.
- Cell phone reception is not reliable.
- Make a trip plan and share it with someone.
- Winter activity is more strenuous and daylight hours are short. Watch your time.
- Be alert for exhaustion and hypothermia.
- The shoreline becomes icy, especially at the Grotto/Indian Head Cove. The ice is often covered by snow. DO NOT APPROACH THE EDGE CLOSELY !
Where can I camp?
- Sites 233-247 in the Tamarack area of Cyprus Lake Campground (map )
- Be prepared for a short walk to your site from P2 parking lot.
Backcountry (remote – hike in wilderness sites)
- Stormhaven backcountry sites (map )
- Be prepared for a 3-4 hour hike from P2 parking lot
- High Dump backcountry sites (map )
- Be prepared for an 8-10 hour hike from P2 parking lot
How do I register?
- All winter camping is first come, first served. You must self-register at the kiosk at Cyprus Lake Office.
- The address is 469 Cyprus Lake Road, Tobermory, Ontario.
- Complete the self-registration and payment process. Payment can be made by cash (exact change) or credit card.
How much does it cost?
|Area||November 1st - December 31st, 2019||Effective January 1st, 2020|
|Main campground (Tamarack in Cyprus Lake Campground)||$15.70 / site / night
(includes one vehicle)
$11.70 / additional vehicle / night
|$16.05 / site, / night (includes one vehicle)
$11.95 / additional vehicle / night
|Backcountry (Stormhaven, High Dump)||$9.80 / person / night
$11.70 / vehicle/ night
|$10.00 / person / night
$11.95 / vehicle / night
What should I bring?
- To prevent the spread of invasive species please purchase your firewood only from local suppliers near the park. There is a limited supply available at Cyprus Lake Campground.
- Collecting firewood from the forest is prohibited
Everything you need to enjoy your camping. This includes:
- Tent or sleeping shelter (no trailers – they won’t get through the snow!);
- Warm sleeping bag and appropriate clothing;
- Food and water – there is no potable water in the winter;
- Cooking gear (stove, pots, pans, etc) and other standard camping gear.
- Anything you need to enjoy your experience;
- Don’t forget your lighter or waterproof matches.
- For a list of winter camping tips – check out this article from our friends at MEC.
Anything else I should know?
- Fires are only permitted in the designated fire pits at your campsite in Tamaracks campground.
- Fires are not allowed anywhere else in the park, including the Stormhaven and High Dump remote campsites.
- There is no running water available. Bring your water or filtration system.
- Toilets are primitive. There are no flush toilets or running water.
- You must pack out your garbage.
- Your cell phone may not work, in the campground, on the trails, or elsewhere in the park.