Salt River Day Use Shelter Taking Shape
Issued: October 19, 2020
October 9/2020. Fort Smith, NT- Contractors are making steady progress on the new picnic shelter being built at Salt River Day Use Area in Wood Buffalo National Park. The new structure will offer visitors a larger facility and provide Parks Canada staff with a new site for interpretive programs and special events. Construction is expected to last until late November, 2020 with a facility opening planned for spring of 2021. Another update will be sent out with information about the grand opening and facility use later this winter
Wood Buffalo National Park would like to remind visitors:
- The picnic area is closed.
- Access to the parking lots (upper and lower) and hiking trails is unaffected.
- Respect posted boundaries, signage and closures while using the area
- Continue practicing physical distancing guidelines in light of COVID-19
Other places for a park picnic include:
- Salt Plains, Pine Lake and Angus Sinkhole Day Use Areas
- Hike the Salt River Meadows Trail for a cliff-top river view, a picnic table and a chance to relax in the Red Chairs
New shelter taking shape. p/c: Luxton Construction
Artist rendering: Salt River Day-Use shelter, once completed
For more information, please call/email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 867-872-0170