Explore the dark sky
Stars, planets, and cultural traditions
Welcome to Nova Scotia’s darkest sky and brightest stars. Kejimkujik invites you to experience the astronomical depth of its Dark-Sky Preserve. Gaze at brilliant celestial bodies through a telescope, binoculars, or with the naked eye. Go deeper to discover how stars have inspired centuries of story, song, and legend.
- Outdoor shows ponder extraterrestrial life and interstellar phenomena alongside incredible imagery, music, and stories.
- Night hikes and campfire programs examine how artificial light affects humans and wildlife, as well as the value of these Dark-Sky Preserves.
- Occasional night-time canoe excursions offer a truly magical night-sky perspective.
Experience Kejimkujik at Night!
This activity will not be offered in 2020. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 information page.
In the darkness of a summer night, take part in a journey along an ancient glacial hill to the site of an old farm, where you will be introduced to the story of the Rogers family, the first European settlers to make their way here. With your guide, move slowly through the remnants of the old farm, orchard and pasture, and see the story unfold.
Feel the presence of Peter and Frances Rogers and their family as they set up their life on the farm and do their best to make it work. The evening ends in the glow of a lantern-lit barn where you will experience the end of the story, as you enjoy traditional treats and refreshments.
Ages: Not recommended for children under 10. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Group size: maximum 20 participants.
Duration: 90 minute program.
Location: Departs from the trailhead at Farmlands. (Farmlands Trail is #6 on Kejimkujik map).
Reservations: Contact us
Cancellations: Fully refundable if you cancel 48 hours before the tour departure time or if cancelled by Parks Canada staff due to weather or low numbers.
- Program is offered rain or shine. However, for safety reasons, program will be cancelled in severe weather or if the minimum number of participants do not book. If cancellation occurs, visitors will be fully refunded.
- This hike will take you on uneven ground and up/down a significant incline: wear appropriate footwear.
- No pets allowed on this program.