Gone Crabbin’: Citizen science seaside adventure at Kejimkujik Seaside
Up for a salty adventure in a pristine and protected coastal estuary? Take part in this exclusive maritime experience and help protect native species from the invasive European Green Crab.
Start your journey on a side-by-side all-terrain vehicle and enjoy the ride to a protected and secluded lagoon destination. At the field station you’ll learn about trapping techniques and data collection then it’s off to the rowboats. Be prepared to get your hands wet and have fun as you weave your rowboat between the stunning granite islands pulling traps from the water and handling fish and crabs alike. Take advantage of this rare opportunity to help save a fragile ecosystem and enjoy an idyllic landscape.
Availability: July and August
Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 10 am - 2 pm
Duration: 4 hours
Group Size: Maximum 6 participants / group
Reservations: Contact Us
Reservations open May 17, 2019.
Schedule for the day:
10:00am: Meet at Seaside kiosk; introduction and safety overview
10:30am: Ride to field station with stops for photos and interpretation
11am: Arrive at field station; project background and prepare rowboats
11:15am to 12:30pm: Row a boat and pull some traps
12:30pm to 1:00pm: Lunch break surrounded by Seaside sounds and scenery
1:00pm to 1:30pm: Photos and return to field station; measure some crabs
1:30pm to 2:00pm: Return ride to parking lot with photo opportunities; conclusion
• All participants will be contacted the night before to confirm program details
• Don’t forget to pack a picnic lunch, water and snacks. Time for lunch will be provided on a beautiful lagoon island. Even better - treat yourself to a Parks Canada Perfect Picnic!
• Rubber boots are highly recommended.
• The program is not suitable for persons with mobility issues.
• Program runs rain or shine; however, cancellation can occur in severe weather conditions
• Must be made at least three days (72h) before the day of without penalty fee. Penalty fee consists of 50% of total cost of booking.
• If the program is cancelled due to weather, participants will be notified between 3 pm and 4 pm the day before and given the opportunity to re-book
• A waiting list will be kept; however, if a program is cancelled due to weather, this group's re-booking will be given priority over others on the waiting list
“Best value for money in Nova Scotia this summer!”
“Very unique experience, informative and entertaining. A perfect fit for our teenagers on vacation.”
“This was a wonderful way to experience the park as a family. Loved the hands-on experience and such a great way to get to know Parks Canada.”