Restricted Activity Notice
Effective dates: October 17, 2018 until further notice
Rationale: To protect the public from secondhand smoke. To reduce visitor safety risk. To promote a quality visitor experience. To enhance the safety and enjoyment of this public area.
Pursuant to Section 7(1) of the National Parks General Regulations, the following activities are prohibited by order of the Superintendent:
Smoking or vaping of cannabis or tobacco products.
This restriction is in effect at all times in the following areas of Cape Breton Highlands National Park:
- On or within 20 m of a playground;
- On or within 9 m of a trail;
- Within 4 m of pubic buildings;
- In Day Use Areas (picnic areas with public picnic tables);
- On beaches;
- Within all campgrounds, except:
- On a designated campsite, and in accordance with a valid camping permit.
Violators may be charged under the Canada National Parks Act.