Closures at Parks Canada Places on Cape Breton Island
Issued: September 21, 2020
LOUISBOURG, NOVA SCOTIA, September 21, 2020 – In anticipation of post-tropical storm Teddy, Parks Canada advises visitors of the following temporary closures at Parks Canada places on Cape Breton Island.
Closed September 22 and 23, 2020:
- Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site
- Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site including the reconstructed Fortress, Kennington Cove and Louisbourg Lighthouse Trail
- St Peters Canal National Historic Site locks
- Campgrounds in Cape Breton Highlands National Park
Closed as of 12 p.m. (AST) on September 22, 2020 in Cape Breton Highlands National Park:
- Beulach Ban Falls Road
- Black Brook Beach
- Cap Rouge/Geology exhibit parking lot
- Franey Road and Franey trail
- Green Cove
- Ingonish Beach
- La Bloc road
- Lakies Head
- Le Buttereau trail
- Mary Anne Falls road
- Middle Head trail
- Paquette Lake/Mica Hill road
- Presqu’ile parking lot
- Skyline trail
- Warren Lake trail
- Visitor information centres and gate kiosks
Guests with pre-existing camping reservations have been contacted and will be refunded their accommodation fee.
The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park will remain open.
St. Peters Canal Swing Bridge will remain open to vehicular traffic and boats will be allowed through in emergency situations.
Visitor safety is of the utmost importance for Parks Canada. This closure will remain in place until conditions are safe. Parks Canada is carefully monitoring the situation, and closures will be re-assessed as the situation progresses. Parks Canada is also monitoring any possible impacts on other national parks and national historic sites in the region.
Visitors are asked to check the Parks Canada web site for the latest information on closures:
For more information, please call the Parks Canada’s national information line at
1-888-773-8888. (Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-866-787-6221) for updates on closures. For campground reservations please visit www.pccamping.ca or call -877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783).