Cape Breton Highlands National Park's hiking trails range from easy strolls to challenging climbs with panoramic views of canyons, highlands and seacoasts. The trails provide a chance to intimately explore the complex habitat of northern Cape Breton Island. Nature doesn't end at the park's boundaries. Many surrounding areas boast equally breathtaking trails.
The following is a list of Cape Breton Highlands National Park's hiking trails. Distances are round-trip with average walking times. Click on the trail name for more detailed information.
Our trails have been rated for difficulty with the internationally recognized symbols:
|Easy||Family-friendly trails that are suitable for all visitors.|
|Moderate||Medium-length trails with moderate elevation gain and some short, steep sections. Suitable for most visitors.|
|Difficult||Longer trails with long, steep sections that are suitable for visitors who have trail experience and are prepared (proper equipment and water).|
|Acadian (loop)||8.4 km||3 - 4 hours||20 - 365 m|
|Salmon Pools||9.5 km||3 - 4 hours||15 - 110 m|
|Le Chemin du Buttereau||4.6 km||1.5 hours||25 - 65 m|
|Le Buttereau (loop)||1.6 km||30 - 45 minutes||0 - 55 m|
|Le vieux chemin du Cap-Rouge||9 km||2.5 - 3.5 hours||40 - 110 m|
|Corney Brook||6.5 km||2 hours||30 - 170 m|
|Skyline||7 km or
8.7 km (loop)
|2 - 3 hours||290 - 405 m|
|Bog (loop)||0.5 km||15 minutes||410 m|
|Benjie's Lake||3 km||1 - 1.5 hours||400 m|
|Fishing Cove||12 km||5 - 6 hours||0 - 355 m|
|MacIntosh Brook||1.7 km||30 - 45 minutes||30 - 65 m|
|Lone Shieling (loop)||0.6 km||15 minutes||70 m|
|Aspy||/||9.6 km||3 - 4 hours||60 - 450 m|
|Mica Hill||7.9 km||3 - 3.5 hours||260 - 410 m|
|Jack Pine (loop)||2.3 km||1 hour||0 - 50 m|
|Coastal||2.4 km||1 hour||0 - 45 m|
|Jigging Cove (loop)||2.4 km||40 - 50 minutes||50 - 65 m|
|Green Cove||0.2 km||10 minutes||10 m|
|Broad Cove Mountain||2.3 km||1 hour||35 - 180 m|
|Warren Lake (loop)||4.7 km||1.5 hours||15 m|
|Branch Pond Look-off||8.4 km||2 - 3 hours||100 - 305 m|
|Franey (loop)||7.4 km||2 - 3 hours||95 - 430 m|
|Clyburn Valley||8.5 km||2 - 3 hours||5 - 50 m|
|Middle Head||3.8 km||1.5 hours||0 - 45 m|
|Freshwater Lake Look-off||0.3 km||10 minutes||10 - 45 m|
|Freshwater Lake||1.7 km||30 - 40 minutes||0 - 15 m|
Remember that you are hiking in a protected wilderness environment.
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Hike with friends and a solid walking stick.
- If you choose to walk alone, tell somebody where you are going.
- Pack in, pack out. Littering attracts wildlife and puts you and the animals at risk.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Dress appropriately. Weather may change rapidly on the plateau and along the coast.
- Bring water, especially for longer trails, climbs and open barrens.
- Bring insect repellant. Black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.