Angling Regulations - Summer 2021 and Winter 2022
The following is a summary of some of the major fishing regulations in effect within the park for the 2021/ 2022 season. National park fishing permits and park entry permits are required for those wishing to fish in park waters.
Type of Angling Permitted
- Brooks and streams (NOTE: artificial fly fishing only)
- Ponds (NOTE: artificial fly as well bait and spinner fishing)
Trout Fishing - CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
All Park waters are opened for trout fishing from May 22 to August 15, 2021.
There are some exceptions:
- Rocky Pond (this pond supplies Terra Nova National Park’s drinking water)
- Big Pond Watershed (including Big Pond, Minchin Pond and Minchin Brook)
- Blue Hill Pond
Daily catch and possession limit of Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) is 10. No other species is permitted.
Salmon Fishing (Northwest River ONLY) - CURRENTLY CLOSED
What licenses are required?
Prior to fishing, anglers are required to obtain a National Park Salmon License and tag and must be in possession of a Newfoundland and Labrador Inland Salmon License (individual or family license) and one unused Class 2 (red) tag. This license must be in your name.
The National Park Salmon License is free of charge and will be available at the seasonal Northwest River shack in the park. A full list of regulations will be provided to each angler. The Newfoundland and Labrador Inland Salmon License must be purchased prior to picking up a National Park Salmon License and is available at community vendors such as convenience stores, garages and fishing shops.
Licences will be issued from the Northwest River Kiosk, July 9th and 10th from 9:30 am – 3:30 pm daily, and then from July 11th onward until the closure of the fishery.
- Each angler is restricted to one salmon and catch-and-release angling is not permitted.
- The fishery may close at any time if water temperatures reach 22 °C for three consecutive days, water levels are deemed to be too low for salmon passage upstream, or concerns related to the long term sustainability of the salmon population arise.
Daily catch and possession limit of salmon (Salmo salar) is 1 per season (Provincial and Park tags required) from Northwest River only. Retention of Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) is also permitted on the Northwest River with a National Park fishing permit. Daily catch and possession limit is 10.
Ice Fishing (Trout ONLY)
Dunphy's Pond will be opened for ice fishing from February 19 to March 27, 2022
Dunphy’s Pond ONLY
For general information about ice safety, visit AdventureSmart.ca.
General Fishing Regulations
- You may not leave your fishing line unattended
- Fishing is prohibited during the period between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise the following day
- It is unlawful to fish from bridges in Terra Nova National Park of Canada
- It is unlawful to fish with lead sinkers or lead jigs. Loons and ducks eating the split shot will die
- Jigging or foul hooking (snagging) is illegal
- It is unlawful to possess tailers or gaff hooks
- It is unlawful to fish with a line having more than one artificial fly or other type of bait
- You cannot use a lure that has more than two single hooks or two gang hooks, or a single hook and one gang hook. Gang hooks cannot have more than three hooks on them
- It is unlawful to fish with an artificial fly attached to a spinning device or natural bait.