Hug a tree
If a child becomes lost in the woods, hugging a tree can help them stay safe, stay put, and be found.
Learn the 4 rules
- Always tell an adult where you are going, who you’re going with and when you’ll be back.
- If you become lost, “Hug-A-Tree” and stay in one place.
- Keep warm and dry by tucking in your shirt, tucking your pant legs into your socks, and zipping up your jacket.
- Tip - building a nest made of twigs and leaves at the base of your tree will keep you insulated from the cold ground.
- Help searchers find you by answering their calls.