Creation of the national park
In 1948, this area of the bay of Fundy near the village of Alma, was chosen as New Brunswick's first national park both to stimulate the economy and to preserve the area's natural beauty.
Fundy National Park was proclaimed in the Canada Gazette on April 10, 1948. The minister responsible, the Honourable James Allison Glen, headed the Department of Mines and Resources from April 18, 1945 to June 10, 1948 under William Lyon Mackenzie King.
The park was officially opened on July 29, 1950.