Swim with Salmon
Explore Fundy National Park like never before!
Immersed in the waters of the Upper Salmon River, gliding silently through the stream when you first see it. A shimmer of silver. Then another. As your eyes adjust to the mingling of shadows and sunlight on the rocks below, you realize that these flashes of silver are not a precious metal, but something rarer. Because in front of you, holding effortlessly in waters called home for eons past, rests one of the most endangered animals in Eastern North America. An inner Bay of Fundy Atlantic salmon.
Joined by park biologists, and First Nations experts you will be guided through national park backcountry where you will be trained and outfitted to take part in a snorkelling expedition. During this profound natural experience, you will be exposed to the Atlantic salmon’s gripping story of survival and the determined efforts to guard this endangered species from extinction. All equipment is provided along with a fresh ‘field-lunch’ and warm drinks after snorkelling the crisp clear river.
If you love new adventures, and you enjoy the peace and quiet of the outdoors, this activity is for you! Join Parks Canada Wardens, University of New Brunswick biologists, interpreters and Indigenous elders for an experience unlike any other.
* The experience is scheduled for Saturday, September 7th from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm to align with the natural return of Atlantic salmon to the rivers of Fundy National Park
Apply for your adventure
- 12 participants will be chosen to experience the renowned Swim with Salmon program in 2019
- The application period is now open and will end July 1, 2019, at 11:59 pm
- If a group or 2 or more person are looking to apply they should only submit 1 application
- If chosen, the cost of the program is $30 and includes the full-day experience, locally made food and one free night of camping
Applicants must check all box at the bottom to be considered for the program.
Each written response will be evaluated by three judges on the following criteria
- Applicants must show they care about the species and what happens to them. The response must also be engaging and show passion. (0-3 points)
- Applicants must demonstrate a clear understanding of salmon’s importance culturally or environmentally. (0-3 points)
- Applicants responses must be clearly articulated, creative and expressive. (0-3 points)
Points will be awarded for each criteria
- Did not achieve - 0 point
- Somewhat achieved - 1 point
- Achieved - 2 points
- Over and above - 3 points
Please ask about the variety of accommodation options available at Fundy National Park, at the time of your registration. Accommodations can also be booked online at: www.reservation.pc.gc.ca/Fundy or by calling 1-877-737-3783.
In the event that you register and cannot attend, we require that you notify us at least 48 hours in advance. There will, however, be no reimbursement if you cancel on site.
As we are working in a natural environment, it is possible that any expedition may be cancelled due to river conditions that affect guests’ safety or observation accuracy. In such cases, Fundy National Park will inform registered participants no less than 24 hours in advance of a planned outing and a full refund will be issued.