Jasper National Park weekly bear report
With the snow setting in for the season Jasper’s bears are now hibernating for the winter season until the spring. Bear reporting will resume in the spring when the valley bottoms become snow free and the spring growth commences by the roadsides.
Report all bear sightings to Jasper Dispatch (780-852-6155).
Current wildlife warnings and closures
- Bear warning: Jacques Lake Trail - Grizzly bears frequenting area
- Bear warning: Opal Hills - Grizzly bears frequenting the area
- Area closed: Prohibited access to section of trail 7
- Bear warning: Golf course at Jasper Park Lodge
To minimize the potential of a bear encounter you should:
Stay alert on the trails
- Make noise
- Look for fresh bear sign
- Travel in groups
- Keep your dog on a leash
- Carry bear spray and know how to use it
- If you encounter a bear, give it LOTS of space
Drive with care
- Reduce your speed
- Stay in your vehicle when watching roadside bears – do not follow a bear into the forest
Safely store bear attractants
- Keep food, garbage, recyclables, pet food and BBQ’s in bear-proof storage or hard-sided vehicles.
For more information on bears and how to stay safe in bear country, please check out the following links: