Coronavirus (COVID-19): Some Parks Canada places have begun a safe, gradual reopening of some outdoor areas and services, including camping. Visitors are encouraged to plan ahead and be well-prepared for their visit. Details here.

All Parks Canada consultations and formal engagement on management plans are suspended until further notice.

The health and safety of Canadians, visitors, and Parks Canada team members is of the utmost importance to the Agency. Parks Canada is following the advice of public health experts and implementing measures to support Canada’s efforts to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and reduce risks to employees and visitors. 

As a result, Parks Canada has also suspended all public consultations and formal engagement with stakeholders and Indigenous peoples on management plans until further notice. 

Management plans are developed through consultation and input from various people and organizations, including Indigenous peoples, local and regional residents, visitors, and the public. 

The Agency is currently focusing its efforts on critical operations. There is, therefore, limited capacity to undertake full and meaningful management planning consultations at this time. Parks Canada also recognizes that the focus of the Canadian public, Indigenous partners and our stakeholders is on public health and safety and the economy. 

Parks Canada is committed to resuming all management planning activities, including public consultations and formal engagement with stakeholders and Indigenous peoples, once operations return to normal and capacity allows. 


Guiding Documents
Yoho Park Management Plan 2010

Yoho Park Management Plan 2010

A management plan is a strategic guide for future management of a national park. It is required by legislation, guided by public consultation, approved by the Minister responsible for Parks Canada, and tabled in Parliament. It is the primary public accountability document for each national park.

Field Community Plan 2010

Field Community Plan 2010

The community plan for Field is based on a state of the community report, prepared in 2006, which assessed the ecological, cultural, economic, and social health of the community. It was undertaken in collaboration with the Field Community Council, the Canadian Pacific Railway, Field residents, and other interested stakeholders. The plan will be periodically reviewed to ensure that its vision remains sound and that the direction in the plan continues to be relevant to the community of Field.

National Historic Site Management Plans 2007

National Historic Site Management Plans 2007

National historic sites commemorate the diversity of human experience and the legacy of thousands of years of human history. They mark the tangible cultural remains of the lives and stories of the people who forged Canada. The family of national historic sites is very large, encompassing more than 900 sites and representing every province and territory. Parks Canada administers more than 150 of these sites including fourteen sites in or near the mountain national parks.

Acts and regulations

Acts and regulations

Parks Canada’s legislation outlines its obligations and authorities with respect to the protected places under its responsibility. The Agency uses a wide range of tools to protect and present nationally significant examples of Canada’s natural and cultural heritage to connect Canadians to that heritage.

Businesses and residents
Contact information

Contact information

Business and municipal services for Yoho National Park including the community of Field, B.C. are provided by Parks Canada. To serve you faster, the most commonly requested information is offered below. Still have questions? We look forward to assisting you.

Office hours: Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mountain. 
General inquiries: 403-522-1186
After-hours emergencies: Contact Park Dispatch at 403-762-1473

Business licenses

Business licenses

Any person providing goods or services in a national park, including guides, outfitters and non-profit organizations, must obtain a business licence. 

  • Does this apply to me? For the purposes of business licensing, “business” means any trade, industry, employment, occupation, activity or special event carried on in a park for profit, gain, fundraising or commercial promotion. This includes work carried out by charitable organizations or by an organization or individual on a non-profit basis.
  • What are the timelines and fees? Business licences require on average 7-10 business days to process. Business licencing fees vary depending on the type and size of the business. 
  • Why are licenses required? Licenses allow us to regulate activities to ensure they are consistent with Parks Canada’s mission and mandate and what Canadians expect of national parks. They also ensure we can share important information with you about work that may impact your business. 
  • Who should I contact? Contact or 403-522-1186 for more information. 
Leases and licenses of occupation

Leases and licenses of occupation

Any person who uses land for a business or residence in a national park requires a lease and/or license of occupation. National parks are owned by all Canadians and the land can be neither purchased nor sold.  

  • I have a lease and/or license of occupation. We welcome your questions about replacements, mortgage approvals, subleases and more. Please contact us at
  • I have never had a lease or license of occupation. Yoho National Park currently has a moratorium on new commercial leases, therefore no new commercial leases can be issued.
Development and building applications

Development and building applications

All development and building projects in national parks require approval and may also require an impact assessment. Are you building or digging in a national park? Check with us first. 

  • Do I need development or building approval? Consult this Development FAQ for detailed information and please call the Development Office at 403-522-1266. We can help.
  • What is the difference between development versus building approvals? 
    • Development applications allow for review of the project concept to ensure the development proposal meets the various Acts, Regulations, Policies and Guidelines that Parks Canada is obliged to uphold. 
    • Building applications allow review of a broad range of projects, unlike those issued in a typical municipal setting, and cover the technical requirements for a construction project to ensure it can be completed safely and with minimal impact to the environment, adjacent leaseholders and the visiting public 
  • Why is an impact assessment also required? Parks Canada is mandated to protect natural and cultural resources in national parks. Impact assessments identify concerns and measures to mitigate adverse effects on these resources. Most development and construction projects in national parks impact people or the environment and are required by law to undergo an impact assessment.
  • Who approves my development and building application? Superintendents are responsible for approving development and building applications.
  • What are the timelines and fees? Timelines and fees vary depending on the complexity of the project and the estimated cost of construction. Consult this Development FAQ or contact us directly. 
  • Who should I contact? We welcome your questions. Contact 
Townsite management

Townsite management

Parks Canada provides municipal services to the Village of Field. The Field Recreation Advisory Association (FRAA) works closely with us to provide advice and communicate with residents.

  • Water, sewer and solid waste services 
    • Parks Canada manages the Field Wastewater Treatment Plant and coordinates solid waste services for Yoho National Park. 
    • For after-hours emergencies, contact Banff Dispatch at 403-762-1473. 
    • For all other inquiries call the Field Townsite Liaison Officer at 250-343-6016.   
  • Electricity and heating services 
    • Electricity is provided by BC Hydro. Please call 1 800 BCHYDRO (1 800 224 9376) if you experience any problems
  • Road maintenance and snow removal
    • For this small community, Parks Canada provides relatively frequent snow removal. The safety of the Trans-Canada Highway takes priority and plows service the village Field as soon as possible. We get epic snow! Please be prepared.
Staff housing

Staff housing

If you are a Parks Canada employee seeking information about staff housing, please reach out to your supervisor. For existing tenants, please contact our Housing Officer at 403-763-0736 or

Filmmakers and photographers

To film or photograph in the national parks, an application must be submitted to Parks Canada twenty days prior to activities. If approved, a permit will be issued which outlines conditions and supplementary requirements associated with the production. This information will help you prepare an application.

Special events

All special events including festivals, weddings and conferences require a special event permit.

Contact us at