ATTENTION: It’s berry season. Bear encounters are likely.
Issued: July 24, 2020
Ends: September 15, 2020
Berry bushes border trails, roads and campgrounds. Black and grizzly bears are feeding on berries right now. It is easy to surprise a bear that is focused on feeding.
To reduce your risk:
• Make noise while on trails.
• Travel in tight groups.
• Trail running and cycling place you at much higher risk. Travel very slowly. Do not wear earbuds.
• Carry bear spray, ensure it is accessible, and know how to use it.
• Watch for fresh bear signs such as scat. Be especially careful near berry patches.
• If you see a bear, stay calm, back away slowly
and leave the area. Never run.