File a trip plan before you leave on your backcountry trip; either with a reliable person (e.g., friend or relative) or, if you are on the water, with Tofino Coast Guard Radio (250 726 7312). Upon completion of your trip, inform your contact that you are out of the backcountry.
A trip plan should be in writing and include:
- The number of people in your group;
- Trip length in days;
- Arrival and departure times and dates;
- Specific route plans;
- Camping plans;
- Tent: number, make/model/colour of each tent;
- If applicable vehicle licence #, make/model/colour and location; and
- If applicable, vessel description/make/colour of each vessel.