West Coast Trail: Transportation
Safety | FAQs | Links | Multimedia | Maps & brochures
NOTE: Parks Canada provides this information for the convenience of hikers. It is not intended as a testimonial for the services. Hikers need to make their own arrangements for transportation.
Vehicles can be left at a number of locations near the trailheads. Ask for details at the West Coast Trail Information Centres or the Nitinaht Visitor Centre.
To Pachena Bay West Coast Trail Information Centre, 5 km south of Bamfield:
- Drive on gravel logging roads from Port Alberni (2 hrs) or Duncan (3 hrs).
- Bus from Victoria (5.5 hrs), Nanaimo (3.5 hrs), with the West Coast Trail Express.
- Ferry from Port Alberni (passengers only no vehicles) (4.5 hrs) with Lady Rose Marine Services.
To Nitinaht Visitor Centre in Nitinaht Village, 80 kms southeast of Port Alberni:
- Drive on gravel logging roads from Port Alberni (2 hrs) or Duncan (2.5 hrs). See the Ditidaht First Nation website for detailed directions to Nitinaht Village.
Between Nitinaht Village and Nitinaht Narrows:
- The Nitinaht Water Taxi makes scheduled trips between Nitinaht Narrows on the West Coast Trail and Nitinaht Village:
- 9:00 am departure from the Nitinaht Village Dock to Nitinaht Narrows on the West Coast Trail.
- 5:30 pm departure from Nitinaht Narrows on the West Coast Trail to Nitinaht Village Dock.
Nitinaht Village is a small, remote community; an overnight stay may be required. There are overnight accommodation options at the Nitinaht Motel or campground.
To Gordon River WCT Information Centre, 5 km north of Port Renfrew:
- Drive from Victoria via Highway 14 (2 hrs).
- Bus from Victoria (2 hrs) with West Coast Trail Express.
Between Port Renfrew, Nitinaht Village and Bamfield by road:
- Bus (3 hrs) with West Coast Trail Express.