Walcott Quarry: Classic Expedition (Yoho National Park)
Hold a 500 million year old fossil in your hand!
This classic journey begins at spectacular Takakkaw Falls in Yoho National Park, British Columbia. Hike through stunning mountain landscapes, explore the remains of an ancient sea and learn about the incredible Burgess Shale Fossils!
Walcott Quarry hike
Return Distance: 21 km (13 miles)
Elevation Gain: 825 m (2,710')
Duration 11 hours, 7 am to 6 pm
Is this hike right for you?
The Walcott Quarry hike is very difficult and involves steep elevation gains in challenging backcountry terrain. It’s equivalent to climbing up and down 234 flights of stairs over 21 kilometers! This hike is not advised for people with recurring knee, back or ankle injuries.
- Children under 8 are not allowed on the Walcott Quarry hike
- Children and youth up to 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult
- Parent or guardian of participants 17-19 years of age must sign a waiver at the trailhead
- No pets
- No exceptions
We want you to enjoy your day! If you are unsure if this hike is right for you, please call us to discuss.
|Adults (17-64 years)||$70.00||$11.50 / party||$13.50 / party|
|Youth (8-16 years)||$35.00||$11.50 / party||$13.50 / party|
|Senior (65+ years)||$59.50||$11.50 / party||$13.50 / party|
Groups that reserve all 12 available spaces at the same time for the same hike receive a 10% discount.
All participants on the Burgess Shale Guided Hikes require a valid national park pass. Purchase your pass the day before your guided hike; the park gates and visitor centres are not open in the early morning, and our guides do not sell park passes.
Schedule - 2020 Walcott Quarry Hikes
July 5 to August 31 - Every day, except Wednesday
September 4 to 13 - Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Note: When travelling east from Vancouver, the time changes from the Pacific Time Zone to the Mountain Time Zone at Glacier National Park’s eastern boundary. All hike times are in Mountain Daylight Time, the same time zone as Calgary, Alberta and Golden, B.C.
Reservations are required and available starting January 9, 2020. To make a reservation you will require the following information:
- Date and hike requested
- Names and ages of participants
- Emergency contact and medical info
- MasterCard, Visa or AmEx number
Call 1-877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783), or reserve online.Reserve now!
Note: The Yoho Valley Road is impassable to RVs and trailers. Trailers can be left in the parking lot across from Monarch Campground.
A day of hiking in the Rockies requires preparation. Conditions can change rapidly in the mountains and higher elevations increase your exposure to the sun and stormy weather. To have a safe and fun time outdoors you will need to bring:
- Warm layers of clothes (no cotton), rain jacket and rain pants, winter gloves, and a winter toque / hat
- Hearty lunch and multiple snacks
- Drinking water, at least 2 litres or ½ gallon per person
- Sturdy and worn in hiking boots and extra wool socks
- Hiking poles (required for the Mount Stephen hike)
- Sturdy and supportive backpack with a waist belt
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, sun hat, insect repellent
- Toilet paper in a plastic bag for disposal, hand sanitizer
- Reading glasses, if you wear them
- Blister kit and personal medical supplies (just in case)
- Sorry, no pets please.