Plan a guided hike
Hold a 505 million year old fossil in your hand. Explore the remains of an ancient sea in the sky with hands-on activities and storytelling. Book early as these popular hikes fill up fast and are limited to a maximum of 12 people per hike. Professional guided hikes to Burgess Shale locations are offered by both Parks Canada and the Burgess Shale Geoscience Foundation.
A day of hiking in the Rockies requires preparation. Conditions can change rapidly in the mountains and higher elevations increase your exposure to the sun and stormy weather. To have a safe and fun time outdoors you will need to bring:
- Warm layers of clothes (no cotton), rain jacket and rain pants, winter gloves, and a winter toque / hat
- Hearty lunch and multiple snacks
- Drinking water, at least 2 litres or ½ gallon per person
- Sturdy and worn in hiking boots and extra wool socks
- Hiking poles (required for the Mount Stephen hike)
- Sturdy and supportive backpack with a waist belt
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, sun hat, insect repellent
- Toilet paper in a plastic bag for disposal, hand sanitizer
- Reading glasses, if you wear them
- Blister kit and personal medical supplies (just in case)
- Sorry, no pets please.