Travelling to Haida Gwaii
We encourage visitors to take the Haida Gwaii pledge and learn more about how to visit respectfully.
Trip planning help can be found at www.gohaidagwaii.ca which has several useful tools to help you plan your visit, including Tadswii’ Kaats’ii hla - Haida Gwaii Trip Planner, which is published annually. Community visitor centres are located in:
- Sandspit Airport
- Daajing Giids (briefly known as Queen Charlotte)
- Port Clements
Travelling by air
Travelling by sea
Via Rail offers train service to Prince Rupert.
Facilities for recreational and commercial vessels are available in Daajing Giids, Sandspit, and Masset. Facilities include pay phones, electrical hookups and fresh water. Sandspit Harbour has a holding tank, pumpout station and showers.
Daajing Giids Harbour
Small Craft Harbours Branch
Box 477, Sandspit, BC V0T 1T0
Masset Harbour Authority
The closest boat launch to Gwaii Haanas is at Moresby Camp in Cumshewa Inlet, Moresby Island. Moresby Camp is a recreational site with campsites, a shelter, and interpretive displays; it is accessible by rough logging road. Check with the visitor centres in Sandspit, Daajing Giids for detailed instructions on times and procedures for travelling on active logging roads. Always drive with your headlights on.
- There are no fuelling stations available in Gwaii Haanas. You must be self-sufficient.
- Many areas in Gwaii Haanas pose a hazard to boaters and kayakers. Use extreme caution when travelling around exposed headlands. There are often strong tidal currents, swells, and winds.
- Watch the water depth carefully as you explore bays and heads of inlets, as many are shallow and rocky.
- Unless you are a very experienced mariner and are familiar with these waters, avoid the west coast of Gwaii Haanas. It is exposed, not fully charted and contains few sheltered anchorages.
Getting around Haida Gwaii
Getting around Haida Gwaii is easy with your own vehicle, but there is limited public transportation.
The communities of Daajing Giids, Skidegate, Tlell, Port Clements, Masset and Old Massett are located on Graham Island. Sandspit and Sandspit Airport are on Moresby Island. A car and passenger ferry connects the two islands with a 20-minute trip.
Visitors who arrive without a vehicle have these options:
- Car Rentals
- Airport Shuttles
- Taxis/transport services
- Kayak rentals
For transportation and guiding services in and around Gwaii Haanas, see the list of licensed tour operators.