Travelling to Haida Gwaii
Trip planning help can be found at www.gohaidagwaii.ca which has several useful tools to help you plan your visit, including Tadswii’ Kaats’ii hla - Haida Gwaii Trip Planner, which is published annually. Community visitor centres are located in:
- Sandspit Airport 250-637-5362
- Queen Charlotte 250-559-8316
- Port Clements 250-557-4576
- Masset 250-626-3982
Travelling by air
Air Canada flights between Sandspit (YZP) and Vancouver International (YVR) airports.
Flights from Prince Rupert to; Masset, Queen Charlotte; and Sandspit.
1-888-624-2577 firstname.lastname@example.org Inland Air website
Travelling by sea
BC Ferries offers year-round service from Prince Rupert to Skidegate Landing on a seven-hour crossing. An Inside Passage ferry runs between Port Hardy (northern Vancouver Island) and Prince Rupert. Reservations are essential.
Via Rail offers train service to Prince Rupert.
Facilities for recreational and commercial vessels are available in Queen Charlotte, Sandspit, and Masset. Facilities include pay phones, electrical hookups and fresh water. Sandspit Harbour has a holding tank, pumpout station and showers.
Queen Charlotte Harbour
Small Craft Harbours Branch
250-559-4650 Queen Charlotte Harbour website
Box 477, Sandspit, BC V0T 1T0
250-637-5700 Sandspit Harbour website
Masset Harbour Authority
The closest boat launch to Gwaii Haanas is at Moresby Camp in Cumshewa Inlet, Moresby Island. Moresby Camp is a recreational site with campsites, a shelter, and interpretive displays; it is accessible by rough logging road. Check with the visitor centres in Sandspit, Queen Charlotte for detailed instructions on times and procedures for travelling on active logging roads. Always drive with your headlights on.
- There are no fuelling stations available in Gwaii Haanas. You must be self-sufficient.
- Many areas in Gwaii Haanas pose a hazard to boaters and kayakers. Use extreme caution when travelling around exposed headlands. There are often strong tidal currents, swells, and winds.
- Watch the water depth carefully as you explore bays and heads of inlets, as many are shallow and rocky.
- Unless you are a very experienced mariner and are familiar with these waters, avoid the west coast of Gwaii Haanas. It is exposed, not fully charted and contains few sheltered anchorages.
Getting around Haida Gwaii
Getting around Haida Gwaii is easy with your own vehicle, but there is limited public transportation.
The communities of Queen Charlotte, Skidegate, Tlell, Port Clements, Masset and Old Massett are located on Graham Island. Sandspit and Sandspit Airport are on Moresby Island. A car and passenger ferry connects the two islands with a 20-minute trip.
Visitors who arrive without a vehicle have these options:
- Car Rentals
- Airport Shuttles
- Taxis/transport services
- Kayak rentals
For transportation and guiding services in and around Gwaii Haanas, see the list of licensed tour operators.