Public notice: Prohibited activities
Issued: May 01, 2014
Prohibited activity order
Pursuant to Section 7(1) of the National Parks General Regulations, the following activities are hereby prohibited by order of the Superintendent, Gulf Islands National Park Reserve of Canada:
Location: All lands and waters within the Gulf Islands National Park Reserve of Canada
Other than for park management purposes or by written authorization from the Superintendent:
• The discharge of black and /or greywater from any vessel or vehicle, into any water or onto any land, is prohibited.
• Bicycling on trails or decommissioned roads is prohibited, with the exception of the access road to the Narvaez Bay campground (Saturna Island), between the parking lot and the campsites (note: the exemption does not include the trails around Echo Bay and Monarch Head).
• Occupying any picnic (day-use) area between the hours of 2300 and 0700 is prohibited, including Sidney Spit (Sidney Island), Roesland (North Pender Island), Russell Island, Georgina Point (Mayne Island),Winter Cove and East Point(Saturna Island).
• Mooring at dinghy docks between the hours of 2300 and 0700 is prohibited, including Roesland (North Pender Island), Winter Cove (Saturna Island), Russell Island, Royal Cove and Princess Bay (Portland Island).
• The placement of private mooring buoys, or other buoys of any type or purpose.
• The use of briquette –fueled barbeques and portable campfire apparatuses is prohibited everywhere, with the exception of registered campsites at McDonald (Vancouver Island) and Prior Centennial (North Pender Island) campgrounds (note: gas-fueled outdoor stoves designed for cooking are permitted everywhere).
For further clarification, a portable campfire apparatus is a free standing fireplace that burns liquid, solid or gaseous fuel and is primarily designed to provide ambiance and heat.
The purpose of this order is to enhance visitor experience and to protect the natural and cultural resources of the park.
Contravention of this order may result in fines or court prosecution under regulations pursuant to the Canada National Parks Act.
Effective date: 1 May 2014
Jim GREENFIELD, Acting Superintendent, Gulf Islands National Park Reserve