Ride the Red Rock
Ride the Red Rock returns for Waterton’s 125th anniversary!
Cycle the Red Rock Parkway on Wednesday mornings in August and September 2020 when the road will be closed to vehicles from 8 am to 12 pm.
The Red Rock Parkway is 14 km one way, with an elevation gain of 320 m and an elevation loss of 120 m.
Plan enough time to finish your ride before the road re-opens to vehicle traffic at noon.
Washrooms are available at Pass Creek (starting point), Lost Horse Creek (11.7 km) and Red Rock Canyon (14 km) day use areas.
Parking is available at Pass Creek, Linnet Lake and the Townsite. Cycle the Kootenai Brown trail to access the Red Rock Parkway. Exercise caution when crossing roads.
Be safe - plan ahead
You are responsible for your own safety. Here are a few tips:
- Always wear a helmet and bring a first aid kit
- Be aware of your surroundings, there may be emergency vehicles on the road
- Practice physical distancing, bring hand sanitizer and check for park updates related to COVID-19
- Bring potable water and snacks to refuel
- Stay in control, ride within your comfort zone and cycle on the right side
- Prepare for the weather. You are in the mountains, weather and temperature can change rapidly
- Keep an eye out for wildlife. Bring bear spray
- If you see wildlife, keep your distance. Stay at least 30 m away from large animals and 100 m away from bears and other carnivores
- Cellular service is limited in this area of the park. Share a trip plan with a friend or family member
- Properly dispose of all garbage or pack it out with you
- Obey area closures - check for updates before you go
- Enjoy - take in the incredible scenery of Waterton Lakes National Park!