Cannabis is legalized and strictly regulated in Canada. It is your responsibility to understand federal, provincial, and municipal regulations for cannabis use while visiting Jasper National Park.
Parks Canada may issue additional restrictions when needed to ensure public health and proper management of the protected area.
The safety and well-being of our visitors is a top priority for Parks Canada and we will continue to provide quality services and experiences for all our visitors. Please respect fellow visitors and the natural environment around them at all times.
Where cannabis can be used in Jasper National Park
- Registered Parks Canada campsites: Allowed
- Campground common areas (buildings, washrooms, shelters, roads, etc): Not allowed
- Inside Otentiks: No smoking or vaping
- Consumption from 11 pm to 7 am: Not allowed
Trails, facilities, and beaches
- Trails: Allowed on front country and backcountry trails
- Public use (including day-use areas): Cannabis consumption is permitted in day use areas in accordance with provincial legislation regarding public smoking and public intoxication. See restrictions below.
- Playgrounds: Smoking or vaping of cannabis or tobacco is not permitted within a 5 metre radius of any playground.
- Pyramid Lake beach day use area: Not allowed
- Annette Lake beach day use area: Not allowed
- Edith Lake beach day use area: Not allowed
- Palisades Centre: Not allowed
Municipality of Jasper
The Municipality of Jasper has passed bylaws that prohibit the public consumption of cannabis within townsite boundaries.
- Municipality of Jasper: Not allowed in public areas within the town boundary.
Cannabis consumption smoking or vaping is not allowed at any Parks Canada facility within the Municipality of Jasper, including:
- Jasper Information Centre: Not allowed
- Jasper Administration Building: Not allowed
Learn more about cannabis regulations
Minimum age for cannabis possession in Alberta: 18
Parks Canada will actively monitor and evaluate the impacts of the legalisation. Our current approach will be revisited and may be adjusted as issues arise and/or as new information becomes available.