Wedding photographers

The Mountain National Parks include Banff, Jasper, Kootenay, Yoho, Mount Revelstoke, Glacier and Waterton Lakes national parks. These parks boast unparalleled film, photographic and recreational possibilities which leave visitors feeling re-energized and inspired to return. To care for these amazing places and ensure visitors’ wishes are fulfilled, filming activities have special considerations.

If you wish to visit Parks Canada places and undertake a film or photo shoot, you may require a film/photo permit, or you may simply need to register your project. Choose your project category below for my information.

Travel media

If you wish to visit Parks Canada places in person and undertake a film or photo shoot, you may require a film/photo permit, or you may simply need to register your project. This will depend on the scale of your project.

Do I need a film/photo permit or project registration?

Most small-scale projects only require project registration, rather than a film/photo permit. Your project is considered “small-scale” if your project meets all of the following criteria.

  • Project is intended to inform audiences about the work of Parks Canada and/or to promote visitation to Parks Canada places.
  • Crew size is of six people or fewer (including models or other talent).
  • Equipment is limited to cameras, tripods, microphones, or other hand-held equipment.
  • Activities remain in areas open to the public and during normal operating hours only.
  • Adheres to all laws and regulations.
  • No drones are used.

If you meet these criteria, fill out the Small-Scale Travel Media Film and Photo Project Registration form.

Registering your small-scale travel media film and photo project

  • We recommend you register your shoot at least 20 business days in advance to avoid surprises in the rare case that your project poses operational challenges. Please note that registering your project does not exempt it from standard visitors’ fees; this decision remains at the park’s discretion.
  • The guide to film/photo shoots at Parks Canada is available to assist you with conducting your film and photo activities. You may also contact the Parks Canada location where you plan to shoot for more specific inquiries.

If your project does not meet the criteria of a small-scale shoot, you must apply for a film/photo permit by contacting Fees may apply.

We look forward to working with you, and we’ll see you soon!

Travel media are a key partner in showcasing our beautiful national parks, national historic sites and national marine conservation areas. Contact us for travel tips, best dates and times to avoid crowds, and hidden gems and unique locations within our sites.

Commercial filming and photography

Jasper National Park will not be accepting applications for large-scale commercial film projects (crew over 7 people) during the period of June 1 – September 15, 2022 due to significant visitation and operational demand on Parks Canada resources. Applications made for this period will not be processed.

What works well

  • Productions involving minimal equipment, crew size and impact on the environment and visitors;
  • Productions contributing to public awareness, appreciation and understanding of Canada’s national parks and Parks Canada;
  • Productions requesting off-season and/or weekday shooting dates.


Submit an application, a minimum of 20 business days prior to intended film/photography activities. Applications are assessed against Canada's National Parks Act, national park regulations and contribution to awareness, appreciation and education of national parks. If approved, a Commercial Film/Photography permit is issued.

Note: Parks Canada imposes the right to refuse applications that are not in the best interest of the Agency or revoke permission if terms and conditions of the permit are violated.

Is your project small scale or travel media? Review here:

Park regulations

Full compliance with the Canada National Parks Act and Park Regulations is required. These include, but are not limited to:

  1. No open firearms, use of firearms (includes discharging of blank ammunition or explosives), or hunting;
  2. No damaging, destruction or removal of natural or cultural resources;
  3. No feeding, enticing (e.g. baiting, calling), touching, harassing, or disturbing park wildlife;
  4. No littering or leaving food or garbage where wildlife can access it (all food and garbage must be stored or disposed of in bear-proof containers and/or packed out);
  5. No off-roading anywhere in the park; no ATVs, skidoos, or jet-boats; no boats with any kind of motor in park waters (except on Lake Minnewanka);
  6. All aerial filming must comply with Canadian Air Regulations; the use of recreational UAV/Drones is not allowed and requires a Restricted Activity Permit in all other circumstances;
  7. No fires outside of designated fire rings or stoves supplied at park campgrounds and day use areas (cigar/cigarette butts and matches are litter and must be fully extinguished and disposed of appropriately);
  8. No camping outside of designated campgrounds and campsites;
  9. No entering of closed areas.
2022 Fees
Production crew size Application fee (per project) Location fee (per day)
1 to 6 $153.50 $511.25
7 to 15 $383.50 $1022.75
16 to 30 $767.00 $1533.75
31 to 99 $2556.25 $2045.25
100 and more $3067.75 $2556.25

Other fees may be applicable.

Professional photography

You need to have a business license from Jasper National Park if you:

  • are hired to take photos in the park
  • plan to sell photos taken in the park

Visit the business licences page to apply.


  • Wedding photography
  • Special event photography
  • Wildlife photography
  • Nature and landscape photography

Hobby photographers do not require any permit or licence. Please be sure to follow all park regulations while photographing in the Park.

Guided tours

Applications for guided/outfitter business licences are reviewed twice annually. The deadlines for the submission of applications is March 1 and September 1 of each year.

Guided business licences include the following activities: hiking tours, road biking tours, backpacking tours, interpretive walks, guided mountaineering, guided ski touring, guided cross-country ski touring, guided horseback tours, rafting tours, angling guides, scuba diving, stand-up paddleboard, outfitting, and all wilderness related tours and guided programs.

For more information on how to apply for a guided business licence please contact:


Filming and photography permit contacts – Mountain Parks

Planning to film in the Town of Jasper? Additional film permits may be required, further information.

Planning to film in the Town of Banff? Additional film permits may be required, further information.

Lake Louise, Yoho and Kootenay:

Waterton Lakes:

Mount Revelstoke and Glacier: