Please allow at least 6 weeks to process your request for a private home accommodation business application.

If you would like to operate a private home accommodation business, you will need to apply for a Parks Canada discretionary use permit prior to acquiring your business licence with the Municipality of Jasper.


Private Home Accommodations are at the discretion of the Field Unit Superintendent and are only permitted in the following residential zones:

  • R1 single-family dwelling
  • R2 two-family dwelling
  • Some R3 multi-family dwellings depending on development requirements

A maximum of two tourist bedrooms are permitted per dwelling providing all parking requirements have been met. Residential parking requirements are calculated based on total gross floor area of the entire house. One additional on-site parking stall must be provided for each tourist bedroom.

A stove with 220v wiring is only permitted in a second dwelling unit in an R2 two-family dwelling and no more than 1 kitchen per dwelling unit is permitted. In all other cases microwaves, toasters, toaster ovens or coffee/tea makers are allowed.

Private home accommodations may provide coffee and tea to their guests. All other foods will require a Food Establishment Permit from the Local Health Authority.

If you reside in one of these residential zones and would like to apply for a discretionary use permit for a private home accommodation business please complete this application form: Discretionary use private home accommodation
(PDF, 226 KB)

Private home accommodation business

Submit your private home accommodation application form and the following required documents to or fax to 780-852-1873.

Scaled floor plans of the entire house showing: all rooms labelled with use, stairs, hallway, doors and window locations (All measurements must be in metric). This will be used to assess your parking requirements.

A scaled site plan showing all off street parking (All measurements must be in metric)

Photographs of the parking areas and tourist entrances

Proof of eligible residency in the form of a Statutory Declaration that has been witnessed and signed by a Commissioner for Oaths

A building safety code inspection by an approved inspection agency of the tourist room(s) and entrance(s)

A certificate of insurance (with a minimum of $2 million per incident) that provides coverage for your private home accommodation business. The liability insurance must include “Her Majesty in Right of Canada as Represented by Parks Canada Agency” as an additional insured.

Parks Canada compliance inspection

Prior to issuing a discretionary use permit for a private-home accommodation a Parks Canada compliance inspection is required. Please contact the compliance officer, Connie Tiesenhausen at 780-883-1028 or to arrange for your inspection.

Note: Parks Canada may request additional information, inspection reports, documentation or applications to be completed, depending on the requirements of your application.

Eligible residency

You must meet the eligible residency requirements to operate a private home accommodation. In order to meet the eligible residency requirement you or your spouse must have a primary employment with a commercial business or institution in the park. A private home accommodation business does not fulfill Parks Canada’s requirement for a need to reside in Jasper. A private home accommodation business is acceptable as a secondary means of income only.

Please visit the Parks Canada Administration Office (607 Connaught Drive, west entrance of the Train Station) to declare under oath or promise and sign a Statutory Declaration in the presence of a Commissioner for Oaths.

Once your discretionary use permit has been issued by Parks Canada please contact the Municipality of Jasper for your business licence.

At this time you will also be asked for a proof of membership with the Jasper Home Accommodation Association.

Note: This information is presented as a general guideline of Parks Canada business licence processes and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various codes and regulations currently in effect. If you would like specific information on the Land Use Regulations for the Town of Jasper (2005) or the Town of Jasper Zoning Regulations (1968) please contact the Parks Canada Administration Office and ask to speak with a Development Officer.