Notice of prohibition: horses and horse riding are prohibited in the following designated area
Issued: January 01, 2019
Ends: December 31, 2019
Effective date: January 1 to December 31, 2019
Activities prohibited: Pursuant to Subsection 7(1) of the General Regulations of Canada National Parks Act, horses and horse riding within Jasper National Park of Canada are prohibited by order of the Superintendent on the following trails and areas. They include the walking surface normally identified by a disturbed surface and 5 metres from the centre line on either side of the disturbed area.
The following official trails are prohibited from horse use:
- Trail 1 from the top of the stairs to the junction with trail 1a and trail 9 (Old Fort Point)
- Trail 4d (Lake Annette Loop)
- Trail 5 and 5a (Whistlers Trail above Fast Tracks junction and Whistlers Summit)
- Trail 7 from First Bridge to Fifth Bridge (Maligne Canyon trail)
- Trail 7i Signal Downhill
- Trail 10a (Flower Trail)
- Pyramid Island Trail
- Discovery Trail, except section between junction with trail 8 and Pyramid Bench kiosk, and section between trail 2a and 13
- Trail 9c
- Mary Schaeffer Loop
- Lakeside Stroll Trail (Maligne Lake)
- Opal Hills Trail
- Source of the Springs trail – Miette Hot Springs
- Pocahontas Upper Loop Trail
- Punchbowl Falls and Pocahontas campground Trails
- Sulphur Skyline Trail from junction at Shuey Pass to top of Sulphur Skyline
- Path of the Glacier and Cavell Meadows trails
- Wilcox Pass Trail
- Toe of the Glacier and Forefield trails
- Stanley Falls Trail
- Skyline, except for the portion of trail between the Wabasso trail junction and Curator Lake
- Watchtower Trail
- Chrome Lake and Wates-Gibson Trail
- Eremite Valley south of the trail junction at Chrome Lake
- Geraldine Lakes Trail
- Fryatt Valley Trail
- Jonas Pass Trail
- All park picnic sites accessible by motorized vehicles
- All public beach areas at Lakes Edith and Annette and the beaches along Pyramid Beach road
- Areas off official trails within the Three Valley Confluence* Official trails are listed in Appendix 1.
* The Three Valley Confluence is defined as:
All geographic locations are in NAD83, using UTM zone 11. Elevations are in meters.
The area from UTM 428181 5876278 (1) along the 1400m elevation band to UTM 436445 5862781(2):
- Thence in a straight line to UTM 436058 5861350 (3) at bearing 195° along the line connecting Grisette and Signal Mountains.
- Thence along the 1400m elevation band to UTM 439739 5845231 (4).
- Thence in a straight line to UTM 434728 5841004 (5) at bearing 230° along the line connecting Curator and Edith Cavell Mountains.
- Thence along the 1400m elevation band to UTM 413178 5857925 (6).
- Thence in a straight line to UTM 414355 5861212 (7) at bearing 20° along the line connecting Roche Noire and Henry Mountain.
- Thence along the 1400m elevation band to UTM 424789 5872496 (8).
- Thence in a straight line to UTM 428181 5876278 (1) at bearing 42° along the line connecting the northernmost peak of the Palisade and Morro Peak.
Why: To reduce the conflicts between user groups and to maintain ecological integrity of sensitive areas in Jasper National Park.
Note: Horse riding includes riding on, walking along, beside or with a horse or to have a horse, whether it is on a halter, with a saddle or not.
Those who violate this order may be charged.
Appendix 1 Official Trails in the Three Valley Confluence of Jasper National Park.
Note : Horse use is not permitted off official trails within this area.
Jasper Townsite (1-19) Old Fort Point 1 Hike
Edge of the Bench/Overlook 2b Hike/bike/horse
Pony Express 2j Hike/bike/horse
Saturday Night Lake Loop 3 Hike/bike/horse
Hibernia Lake Trail 3b Hike/bike/horse
Saturday Night Lake trail 3c Hike/bike/horse
Minnow Lake trail 3d Hike/bike/horse
New Slough Trail 3g Hike/bike/horse
Lac Beauvert/Lake Annette and Edith 4 Hike/bike/horse
Lake Annette Loop 4d Hike/Wheelchair
Lake Edith Trail 4g Hike/bike/horse
Whistlers 5 Hike/bike (below jct with Fast Tracks #5c)
Whistlers Summit 5a Hike
Patricia Lake Loop 6 Hike/bike/horse
Maligne Canyon Trail (1st to 5th bridge) 7 Hike
Athabasca River/Maligne Canyon trail 7 Hike/bike/horse
Maligne Canyon parking lot to 2nd bridge 7f Hike
2nd bridge to jct with 7h at 5th bridge 7f Hike/bike/horse
Mina-Riley loop 8 Hike/bike/horse
Cabin Lake Fire Road 8e Hike/bike/horse
Valley of the Five/Wabasso 9 Hike/bike/horse
Tekarra Loop 9c Hike/Bike
Overlander 10 Hike/bike/horse
Flower Trail 10a Hike
Morro Slabs Trail 10b Hike/bike/horse
Jasper Discovery Trail (Hike/bike/horse between junction with trail 8 and Pyramid Bench trailhead) 11 Hike/Bike
Wapiti Trail 12 Hike/bike/horse
Wapiti River Trail 12a Hike/bike/horse
Bighorn Alley 13 Hike/bike/horse