Restricted Activity: Dogs in sensitive habitat
Issued: January 01, 2022
January 1 to December 31
Under section 7(1) of the National Parks General Regulations, the following activity is prohibited by order of the Superintendent:
Dogs are prohibited on the following specified trails and areas of Jasper National Park. Trails include the tread normally identified by a disturbed surface and 500 metres from the centre line to either side of the disturbed area.
Location 1 - Maligne Region
- Skyline Trail and surrounding area: This includes the Skyline Trail (trail 100), from Signal Trailhead to Maligne Lake, and also includes the Watchtower Trail (trail 102), Jeffery Creek Trail, and the Wabasso Lakes Trail (trail 101) (upslope of Wabasso Lakes), and adjacent areas.
Location 2 - Maligne Region
- Bald Hills and Opal Hills Trails and surrounding area: This includes the Bald Hills Trail (trail 23) and Opal Hills Trail (trail 22), Surprise Valley, and the adjacent areas.
Location 3 - Brazeau Region
- Maligne Pass Trail and surrounding area: This includes the Maligne Pass Trail from Maligne Lake to Sunwapta Warden Station, and the adjacent areas.
Location 4 - Brazeau Region
Location 5 -Tonquin Region
- Tonquin Valley Trails and surrounding area: This includes the Tonquin Valley Trails (trails 105 and 106), Verdant Pass and Whistlers Creek. This includes the entire Tonquin Valley area, Meadow Creek, Astoria River and Portal Creek trails and Whistler Creek.
Location 6 - Cavell Region
- Cavell Meadows Trail and surrounding area: this includes the Cavell Meadows Trail (trail 42) and the alpine meadows in the adjacent area.
Dogs are prohibited from trails and areas in sensitive habitat to reduce the stress that dogs have on caribou, ground-nesting birds and other sensitive species.
Violators may be charged under the Canada National Parks Act: maximum penalty $25 000.