Notice of prohibition: Dogs in caribou habitat
Issued: January 01, 2021
January 1 to December 31
Pursuant to section 7(1) of the National Parks General Regulations, dogs are prohibited on the following specified trails and areas of Jasper National Park by order of the Superintendent. Trails include the tread normally identified by a disturbed surface and 500 meters from the centre line to either side of the disturbed area.
- Skyline Trail and surrounding area: This includes the Skyline Trail (trail 100), from Signal Campsite to Maligne Lake, and also includes the Watchtower Trail (trail 102), Jeffery Creek Trail, and the Wabasso Lakes Trail (trail 101) (upslope of Wabasso Lakes), and adjacent areas.
- Bald Hills and Opal Hills Trails and surrounding area: This includes the Bald Hills Trail (trail 23) and Opal Hills Trail (trail 22), Surprise Valley, and the adjacent areas.
- Maligne Pass Trail and surrounding area: This includes the Maligne Pass Trail from Maligne Lake to Sunwapta Warden Station, and the adjacent areas.
- Jonas Creek and Poboktan Creek Trails and surrounding area: This includes the Poboktan Creek Trail (trail 132) from Sunwapta Warden Station up to but not including the Brazeau Lake Campsite, and the Jonas Creek Trail (trail 131), from the junction with the Poboktan Creek Trail, up to but not including the Four Point Campsite.
- Tonquin Valley Trails and surrounding area: This includes the Tonquin Valley Trails (trails 105 and 106), Verdant Pass and Whistlers Creek. This includes the entire Tonquin Valley area, Meadow Creek, Astoria River and Portal Creek trails and the Whistler Creek drainage.
- Cavell Meadows Trail and surrounding area: this includes the Cavell Meadows Trail (trail 42) and the alpine meadows complex in the adjacent area.
Dogs are prohibited from trails and areas in important caribou habitat to reduce the stress that dogs have on this threatened species. Those who violate this order may be charged.