Notice of prohibition: Access prohibited - Signal Mountain
Issued: January 01, 2020
Ends: January 15, 2020
Effective date:January 1 to December 31
Access prohibited:Pursuant to section 7(1) of the National Parks General Regulations, the following area is prohibited to public use and travel by order of the Superintendent, Jasper National Park.
The lower slopes of Signal Mountain above Lake Edith, the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, and Old Fort Point up to an elevation of 1250 m on the slopes of Signal Mountain in Jasper National Park.
Parks Canada signed and designated trails and 15 m to either side of the midline of designated trails are exempt from this travel restriction.
The unsigned access trail and the water reservoir for the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge above trail 7 with a 15 meter buffer of the trail midline and the water reservoir structure are also exempt from this travel restriction.
- Commencing on the slopes of Signal Mountain at 1250 m elevation at easting 431846 northing 5854968 (#1 on map) following the elevation band at 1250 m north then east to within 15 m of the midpoint of the Signal Mountain fire road on the 1250 m elevation line.
- Thence continuing parallel and 15 m from the midpoint of the fire road on the left side (#2 on map) (left when descending) of the fire road to the junction with trail 7 (#3 on map).
- Thence continuing 15 m from the midpoint of trail 7 on the upslope Signal Mountain side of trail 7 parallel to trail 7 to easting 431903 northing 5862743 (#4 on map).
- Thence a 270 degree from true north bearing to 15 m from the midpoint of trail 7 east of Lake Edith at easting 431903 northing 5862743 (#5 on map).
- Thence continuing 15 m from the midpoint of trail 7 and paralleling trail 7 to the east and upslope on Signal Mountain as it passes east of the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge golf course to the junction of trail 7 and 7a (#6 on map).
- Thence continuing parallel and 15 m from the midpoint of trail 7a on the east side after trail 7 and 7a junction to the junction of 7a and trail 1(#7 on map).
- Thence continuing 15 m from the midpoint of trail 1 paralleling the east side of trail 1 to the junction of trail 1 and trail 1a (#8 on map).
- Thence continuing 15 m from the midpoint of trail 1a paralleling trail 1a on the east then south side of trail 1a to the junction of trail 1a and trail 9 (#9 on map).
- Thence continuing 15 m from the midpoint of trail 9 south paralleling trail 9 to the east side of trail 9 until just south of Tekarra marsh at easting 430415 northing 5854968 (#10 on map).
To ensure that wildlife are not displaced from an essential travel corridor.
NOTE: It is an offence under the Canada National Parks Act to enter a prohibited area. Violators may be charged.