The paddle campground at Hidden Cove
Tucked away along the shores of the iconic Maligne Lake, Jasper’s newest campground will appeal to families looking for a gentle “backcountry” paddling adventure.
The Paddle Campground at Hidden Cove was created with beginner canoeists and kayakers in mind. Aspiring paddlers follow a short, 3.5 kilometre route along the shoreline, entirely in protected waters. It’s perfect for family groups with children or seniors.
To access the paddle campground at Hidden Cove will require paddling up Maligne Lake for 3.5 km. Depending on the weather, experience level, total weight in the boat, type of watercraft and physical condition, it can take 45 minutes to 2 hours to get to the campground.
- This is a paddle-in campground and is new to Maligne Lake.
- The campground is designed to provide an introductory paddle and camping, learning opportunity.
- Maligne Lake is usually calm until about 9 am, so we recommend an early start.
- Tour boats travel down the middle of the lake and usually operate from 9 am to 6:30 pm and can create large waves which are best taken head on, bow first.
- There is a beautiful shelter at the campground, complete with a picnic table and woodstove.
- Food storage lockers are provided. There is one locker per site. Store all food, garbage, beverages, scented articles and stoves in these bear-proof lockers.
- Campfires are only permitted in the fire grate or woodstove. Note: firewood is not provided at backcountry campgrounds.
- Do not cut live or dead trees for firewood or tent poles.
- The fire grates and the picnic tables are for all campers to share.
- Campground check-in and check-out time is at 11 am.
- Campfire wood can be purchased at Avalanche Esso in the Jasper townsite (702 Connaught Drive).
- A water filter or 4 to 5 litres of water per person per day.
- Suggested pack list
- Camping in Hidden Cove is limited to 2 nights. This gives everyone the opportunity to stay in this unique and extremely popular area.
- The maximum group size for this campground is 10 people, occupying 4 sites. The maximum number of people allowed at the campground in total is 14, this allows everyone at the campground a peaceful and enjoyable wilderness experience.
- A National Park Fishing Permit is required to fish at Maligne Lake. Children under the age of 16 do not require a permit if accompanied by an adult who holds a valid fishing permit (in this case, the combined catch will not exceed the limit for one permit).
- Reserve a site at Hidden Cove online 24/7 at: pc.gc.ca/bookjasperbackcountry or by calling: 1-877-RESERVE (1-877-737-3783)
- Don't overload your watercraft. You should leave at least 8 cm or 7'' free board (space between the water level and the lowest portion of the gunwale, top edge of the canoe).
- The lake is cold and hypothermia is a major concern if you capsize (flip over). Always paddle close to shore and wear a life jacket.
- If you see that bad weather is coming in, paddle closer to shore, as the wind can change rapidly and create large waves in a matter of minutes.
- Although small watercraft have priority over the powered tour boats, please do not cross in front of them.
- Please do your part to limit the impact on park wildlife. Give all the animals you see the respect they deserve and the space they need. If they become accustomed to being around people, they are in danger of losing that very thing that makes them special: their wildness.
- Black bears and grizzlies are present in the area. Please follow bear country recommendations; talk to Information Centre staff and get a copy of the Bears and People brochure.
- If you are a group leader, you have legal responsibilities; see the attached information sheet for details.
Quiet time is 11 pm to 7 am or when children are sleeping. Be courteous and considerate of others. The sound of children playing or laughter around the campfire is not considered “noise”. Do not use stereos or electric generators.
A final note
Could we improve your stay? Please provide your thoughts to the Jasper National Park Information Centre by phone at: 780-852-6176 or email at: email@example.com.