Bivouacs are used by climbers on alpine routes that cannot be completed in a day, or which require an early start for safety reasons.
Climbers wishing to bivouac must purchase a backcountry camping permit by by calling 780-852-6177. Bivouac permits cannot be booked online.
- The bivouac site must be as close to the start of the route as possible.
- The bivouac site must be in the alpine zone on un-vegetated areas.
- Fires are not allowed.
- All litter must be packed out.
- Rock wind breaks must be dismantled.
- The group size is limited to 6 people.
- Solid human waste must be deposited in a small excavated hole with rocks placed on top. Burn toilet paper.
- Bivouacking is not permitted within 1 km of Alpine Club huts.
- The bivouac must be removed when the climb is completed.
Routes where bivouacs are not permitted
- Mount Athabasca – all routes (use Columbia Icefield or Wilcox campgrounds)
- Mount Edith Cavell - East and West ridges
- Pyramid Mountain
- Mount Fryatt - all routes except the West Ridge (use Sydney Vallance (Fryatt) Hut or Headwall Campground)
- Mount Colin - all routes (use Colin Hut)
- The Ramparts - all routes (use Wates-Gibson Hut or Surprise Point Campground)
- Eremite Valley - all routes (use Wates-Gibson Hut)
- Mount Andromeda – all routes except Andromeda Strain (use Columbia Icefield or Wilcox campgrounds)