Hours of operation
Elk Island National Park is a great place to have an afternoon picnic, enjoy an evening campfire or see the Aurora Borealis in the dark of the night. Open and accessible to visitors 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, Elk Island is a must-see for anyone visiting the Edmonton area.
Although the park is open around the clock, some services and facilities are only open in the summer season during typical business hours.
Visitor Information Centre and Gift Shop
Located off Highway 16
- May 17 to October 13, 2019 open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- October 14, 2019 to May long weekend 2020 open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Astotin Theatre Interpretive Centre
- The Astotin Theatre is open July to September long weekend daily from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- September 3, 2019 to March 31, 2020 open Saturdays and Sundays from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Astotin Lake Campground
- The Astotin Lake Campground is open May 17 to October 13, 2019 daily from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. The campground registration kiosk has moved to beside the Astotin Lake main parking lot
The campground registration kiosk has moved to beside the Astotin Lake main parking lot
Astotin Lake winter camping
- Winter camping is available in the RV loop and the walk-in tenting area for the 2019/2020 season. Season operating dates are October 15, 2019 to May 3, 2020. The campground will be closed from May 4 to May 14, 2020.
- All sites are self-registration, on a first come first serve basis. Self-registration is available at the Campground kiosk. Camping fees are $4.90/ person per night and $8.80 fire permit. All sites are unserviced.
- Oster Lake Backcountry Campground is closed from October 14, 2018 to May 15, 2019.
For more information about winter camping call 780-922-5790
Located near the West gate (off Township Road 544)
- Open 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. year-round, Monday to Friday. Closed statutory holidays.