Commercial Operator Information
Beginning Summer 2022, Parks Canada is making changes to commercial vehicle parking at Moraine Lake and Lake Louise. All vehicles, including commercial vans and buses, are no longer permitted to turn left when entering or leaving Moraine lake road or turn left when exiting the Lake Louise parking area to access hotels or pick up visitors.
Signage is in place and traffic control is on site to provide direction. These measures are needed to ensure the steady flow of vehicle traffic along Lake Louise drive and no exceptions will be made. Operators need to take this information into consideration as they plan their visit to Lake Louise and Moraine Lake.
There is no overnight parking available at either Lake Louise or Moraine Lake.
Additionally, commercial vans will no longer be permitted to park in spaces designated for bus parking. Instead, vans will be provided with separate van-only parking spaces.
A commercial van is defined as a vehicle transporting passengers that will fit comfortably within a standard sized parking stall (examples include Ford Transit and E-Series vans, Mercedes Sprinter, Dodge Promaster). Anything that is over-sized for a regular stall is considered a bus and would need to use the bus parking area
At Lake Louise, commercial van operators will now be directed to park in the designated spaces at the upper parking area (shown in yellow on the map). The middle lot (shown in blue) will be reserved for buses and motorcoaches only.
Commercial van operators visiting Moraine Lake will be directed to park in the designated commercial van spaces (shown in yellow). Buses and motorcoaches will be able to park in the area shown in blue.
Commercial Vehicle Traffic Management
When commercial van spaces are available:
- Traffic control personnel will direct the operator to the designated commercial van spaces. The van operator’s “Commercial Entry pass” must be visible at all times. There are no fees associated with parking in these areas.
When commercial van spaces are unavailable but public parking spaces are available:
- If no commercial van parking spaces are available, operators are permitted to park in any available public parking stall. The van operator’s “Commercial Entry pass” must be visible at all times. There are no fees for commercial operators parking in the public parking lot.
When parking lots reach capacity (commercial van spaces as well as public parking spaces):
- If lot capacities are reached, there is no additional parking available to commercial van operators. These operators will be given access to drop off their passengers but they will not be able to remain on site or leave the vehicle to provide a guided experience.
- Arrangements must be made to organize a pick up time with the group and the vehicle will be required to leave the parking area until the scheduled pick up time. Access to the same area for drop offs and pick ups will be maintained. There will be a 10-minute maximum allowance for passenger drop off and pick up.
Beginning summer 2022, Parks Canada is making changes to parking for commercial vehicles at Moraine Lake. Commercial vans and buses will now have separate, defined parking spaces in the Moraine Lake parking lot.
A commercial van is defined as a vehicle transporting passengers that will fit comfortably within a standard sized parking stall. Anything that is over-sized for a regular stall is considered a bus and would need to use the bus parking areas.
Other Commercial Vehicle Parking Areas
Lake Louise Village
The Samson Mall parking lot has parking to accommodate large vehicles, such as buses and RVs on the end nearest to Village Road. There is a time restriction on how long you may park in the lot and parking is only available on a first-come first-served basis. Parking spaces in this lot fill quickly and may not be available during peak times. Additional parking for large vehicles is available in the lot located behind the Shell Gas Station on Village Road.
The upper parking lot at Peyto lake is designated for accessible and commercial vehicle parking and operates at a first-come first-served basis. Due to the design of the parking lot, drivers are advised to stay with their vehicles to allow others room to park. Any vehicles staying for an extended period of time must park along the sides of the lot to allow traffic to flow freely.
Commercial vehicle parking is located on the right-hand side from the beginning of the parking lot until the hotel access bridge.
Notes to be aware of:
- Parking in non-designated areas, including areas on the sides of roads in unmarked spots, is prohibited.
- Parking is on a first-come first-served basis – these locations regularly reach parking capacity year round. Parking is in particularly high demand during peak season (May-October)
- Commercial vehicles must visibly display a “Commercial Entry pass” for the park at all times.
- Commercial Vehicle designation applies only to high capacity vehicles such as vans, buses and motorcoaches. Business licence holders who do not have commercial vehicle permits will be directed to park in the public parking areas at Moraine Lake and Lake Louise if space is available.