Never feed wildlife
To protect this special place, we pack up and securely store our food before we play. We never feed wildlife, big or small.
Wildlife can quickly find any food, scented items, or garbage that is left unattended. When they eat these unnatural foods, fauna learn to approach people for an easy meal. This can result in aggressive behaviour that puts both people and wildlife at risk of being hurt or killed.
A clean campsite and picnic site does not have anything that will attract wildlife (food, garbage, food-related or scented items). Never leave these items unattended:
- Coolers - full or empty
- Food - wrapped, unwrapped, or in containers
- Dishes/pots/cutlery - clean or dirty
- Beverage containers – full or empty
- Pet food/bowls - full or empty
- Bottles/cans - open or unopened
- Scented products - such as shampoo, toothpaste, candles, citronella, dish soap, sunscreen, lip balm, dish towels
- Barbecues - clean or dirty
- Any other items used for food preparation or that have a smell or scent
Your actions matter! When you leave Banff National Park… leave it wild.
It is illegal to feed, entice or disturb any wildlife in a national park. Violators will be charged, be required to appear in court, and could pay fines up to $25 000.
Please report bear, cougar, wolf and coyote sightings and encounters to Banff Dispatch: 403-762-1470