Working in Banff National Park 

A business licence is required for all businesses, companies, guides and/or vendors who are operating in Banff National Park. Each contractor and sub-contractor requires their own business licence to work in the park.

Parks Canada and the Town of Banff are the two governing bodies in Banff National Park that issue business licences. Parks Canada issues the following licences and permits: 

  • Business licences for work in Banff National Park outside the townsite
  • Guided business licences
  • Special event permits
  • Film and photography

If you are proposing a new business in Banff or changing the location of an existing business you must email with a narrative describing the proposal. For all non-resident business owners wanting to conduct business in the town of Banff please contact the Town of Banff.

Please note: if you are operating a business in both jurisdictions, you must obtain a business licence from Parks Canada as well as one from the Town of Banff.

Work passes

Work passes for park entry are provided by the Parks Canada and Town of Banff administration offices at the time a business licence is issued. Work passes shall be used for work purposes only. 

Special Activity Permits for overweight vehicles are issued by the Banff Dispatch office. Please send your request by e-mail to after your business licence has been issued.