Warning - All areas surrounding and including the Town of Banff
Issued: January 11, 2021
Ends: February 13, 2021
WHY: A cougar(s) has been frequenting the Town of Banff and surrounding area. A cougar displayed aggressive behaviour, after approaching a dog walker at a close distance.
· To avoid an encounter with a cougar, or other dangerous wildlife, you should be prepared to:
· Travel in groups and keep everyone together.
· Be especially cautious when travelling during dawn and dusk, when wildlife is most active.
· Travel slowly if you are cycling or jogging, and do not wear ear buds.
· Make noise to alert a cougar or other potentially dangerous wildlife to your presence.
· Carry bear spray in an easily accessible location and know how to use it.
· Keep your dog on a leash at all times and walk your dog during daylight hours if possible.
· Leave the area if you see or smell a dead animal.
· Never approach, entice or feed wildlife.
If You See a Cougar
· Do not approach the animal.
· Face the cougar, and retreat slowly – do NOT run or play dead.
· Try to appear bigger by holding your arms or an object above your head.
· Immediately pick up small children.
· Be aggressive. Shout, wave a stick or throw rocks to deter an attack.
Report your sighting, immediately, to Banff 24/7 Emergency Dispatch at 403-762-1470.
Start date: 11-Jan-21
IEM : 2021-HWC-0000-BANFU-0024
End date: Until Further Notice