ADVISORY: The elk calving season has begun
Issued: May 16, 2019
Ends: June 30, 2019
THE ELK CALVING SEASON HAS BEGUN
Elk calving season May 15th to June 30th
Protective mothers will aggressively protect their newborns by kicking and charging at people.
How do I avoid an elk encounter?
• Stay 30 meters away from all elk;
• Avoid lone female elk, they separate from the herd for calving and may have calves nearby;
• Walk on open roads rather than forest trails to avoid stumbling upon females elk or calves;
• Keep children within arms reach and always keep dogs on a leash;
• Travel in groups and carry a walking stick, pepper spray or umbrella.
What should I do if I can’t avoid an elk encounter?
• Act dominant if an elk gets too close;
• Seek protection behind a tree or vehicle;
• Raise your arms or flap a jacket to make yourself appear larger;
• Maintain eye contact and move away;
• Contact encounters are rare – if knocked down get up and move away. Do not play dead!
Report any incidents to the Resource Conservation office at 403-762-1470.