RESTRICTED ACTIVITY - Lake Minnewanka seasonal trail restrictions
Issued: July 10, 2020
Ends: September 15, 2020
Lake Minnewanka seasonal trail restrictions
1. All hiking parties must travel in a minimum group size of four. The maximum distance between two individuals must not exceed 3 metres and should be less when sight or hearing is reduced by the physical surroundings. The hiking party must carry bear spray with them at all times within the restricted area.
2. Bicycles are not permitted within the restricted area during this period.
3. Dogs are not permitted within the restricted area during this period.
4. Campers staying in Lm9, Lm11, Lm20, Lm22 must be in a group of 4 or more.
5. The Lm8 campground will be closed to all users during this period.
WHAT: Pursuant to Section 7(1) of the National Parks General Regulations, of the Canada National Parks Act, the following activity is restricted or prohibited by order of the Superintendent:
WHERE: All trails beyond Stewart Canyon to the east park boundary at Devil’s Gap. This includes the Minnewanka Trail, Aylmer Pass Trail and Aylmer Lookout Trail. The Lm8 campground is also closed during this restricted period (July 10 to September 15, 2020).
WHY: To increase public safety, and minimize displacement of grizzly bears from prime food sources at a critical time of the year.
PENALTY: Violators may be charged under the Canada National Parks Act: maximum penalty
Start date: 20-Jul-10
End date: 20-Sep-15
IEM #: 2020-HWC-0000-BANFU-0888